As a newbie to programming I have been doing a course in Delphi 7. My student pack includes Delphi 8 but I have not loaded it yet.
On other projects I ahve been using VB and VBA and have a book on VB.NET.
I started another training course this year and they use C++ (not Visual C++) as a starting point and Visual C++ will be covered next year.
The comments I have found here are at least a year old and much has changed since then.
My issues are the following.
1. I am forced to use VB 6 and C++ for work related programming and that is not about to change in 2 years when it is estimated that .NET will take over.
2. The thing is I quite like Delphi. I cannot try to be master of all these languages. But I just get the feeling that Delphi is not a good choice to stick with for future development.
3. I am not in to all the latest on languages, so feel a bit lost.
4. Should I concentrate on C++ and VB and drop Delphi.
5. Should I look at c# for the future rather than Delphi.
6. I know C++ is used in Linux, but will Delphi/Kylex be a serious future solution?
7. My future interests are in developement along database related application. I am not into games and such like.
Any suggestions would be welcome in clearing the confusion and doubs about Delphi.
I am allocating 500 points because the correct choice right now is so important to me and my future.