Immediately any user logs onto my PC (even new users) explorer starts to restart every 5 seconds with the error below:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
I have checked the event logs and there were some errors relating to the IMAPI.exe service but with that disabled the error still occurs. It seemed to occur on the odd occasion before yesterday but then in the afternoon (not following any particular install) it started failing continually. The only minor change I can think of was removing internet explorer from the quick start area on the task bar.
I have searched for solutions on this site and across the web and I have tried the following:
1) Replace explorer.exe with a new copy from install CD (I replaced the dllcache copy as well to prevent the original coming back)
2) Replace explorer.exe with a working copy from another PC
3) Uninstall any recently installed software
4) Virus scan entire machine
5) Spyware scan entire machine (used Steganos anti-spyware 2006 and AdAware)
If anyone has any suggestions that result in a fix I would be grateful as I really don't want to rebuild from scratch.