SBS 2003 VPN and No Name Resolution
Posted on 2006-04-26
I've done lots of searching here before asking this question, so here it goes.
We're a small shop and we have one server running our production data & files, Exchange 2003, IIS6, and DNS and WINS. Everything works well inside the network (192.168.117.x). However, we do have 3 users (myself included) that will access the network via VPN. Also this server has 2 NICs in it, but only one is being used at this time. All connections for the internet goes thru a hardware firewall that stands in front of all servers and workstations.
The VPN connection cannot resolve the server names, but I can ping them via their physical IP address. I've looked at the IPCONFIG and noticed the subnet at 255.255.255.255, but after searching thru here, I know that's OK. Using my experience, it appears when VPNed into the network here, it's not seeing the 192.168.117.x network, so my DNS configuration on my home setup (the ISP) tries to locate the server, which is doesn't find.
Now I do have setup in the Active Directory Users section who has dialin access and what the assigned IP should be. (For audit trails.) I have setup a range of IPs and switch them to be DHCP assigned to no avail. Another thought was to use the second network card and setup a seperate subnet, however my hardware firewall is a concern since it will not be on the new subnet. (Or maybe I'm thinking this wrong.)
I've seen and used the suggestions to Microsoft's KB 29822, but it didn't work. I've tried a few suggestions made for others here (uncheck default remote gateway, hard code DNS Server, etc) and the problem remains.
I'll keep a lookout on this thread as possible to get more info to you, but that's about where I'm at right now. It's pretty important to get this working since one of the remote users does publish his website on our server.
Thank you for your time.