• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 747
  • Last Modified:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Data.OleDb.OleDBException' occurred in system.data.dll'

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Data.OleDb.OleDBException' occurred in system.data.dll'


I am getting the above error when trying to update an access database file on a server.  The program works fine on the old server still which is a Win 2k server with IIS 4 running on it.  A new server has been setup that is W2k3 server running IIS 6 on it.  The error only occurs when the program is run on the new server and runs fine on the old server.  Both servers are patched to the latest of all MS updates for each of their respective OS versions.  Is there anything that would need to be changed in the program when going from w2k/IIS4 to w2k3/IIS6?
0
Timothy Kashin
Asked:
Timothy Kashin
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
MageDribbleCommented:
did you change the server name in your connection string?
0
 
Timothy KashinAuthor Commented:
Yes, the connection string is changed.  That is how we actually test the connection is to go change it and then let it run on the new test server.

It seems to be more permissions oriented of a problem, but I just cannot narrow it down.  I have mirrored the permissions and shares from the old server to the new server just to insure that all is the same.

THanks for the quick response MageDribble!!!
0
 
MageDribbleCommented:
when does the error occur?  does it only occur when you issue updates to the Access database?  Can you run any queries against the access database?
0
 
Bob LearnedCommented:
If you wrap the code in Try...Catch, and display the full exception, you should get a better exception message:

Try

Catch ex As Exception

   MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString())

End Try

Bob
0
 
Timothy KashinAuthor Commented:
I think I may have found the issue.  I am the network admin, I was posting this for the programmer to see if I could get a helping hand.  Upon further investigation, I found that when I tried to directly access the mdb file on the old server, it was not a problem and it would open right up.  When I did the same thing on the new server, it would come up as a read only file.  I was logged in as an administrator and found this odd.  I deleted the mdb file and recreated it instead of just copying it from server to server and we now have a different issue.  

The file is now accessible but it doesn't close after it has been updated.
0

Featured Post

Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now