A particular company's email text is suddenly not showing up on the messages I recieve from them, but they were visible last week.
I use Outlook 2003 connected to my ISP. No other emails from anyone else has any problems.
I've tested by using IE to connect via webmail and their email text is visible but then I poll my email acct and pull down the messages in Outlook 2003 and see nothing. I've tried changing all the Outlook settings, HTML, richtext, plain text, etc. but to no avail.
When I searched the topic on EE, someone else had the same problem but the fix for them seems to have been their corporate IT group making MS Exchange Server fixes. I'm just an individual, 1 person company and I can't do business with this group if I can't read their emails nor do I think I can go tell them to make any adjustments.
It is 500 points here because I'm in the middle of a $270k deal with them!!!