Help with RAID 5 Rebuild on HP Netserver LP2000r
Posted on 2006-05-05
I need help fixing what seems to be flaw in the HP Netserver LP2000r BIOS -- I updated the BIOS to latest version, and problem seems to be flaw in logic, or else omission, rather than problem with disks.
1. You make RAID 5 with 3 disks. All works great, you format, install OS, all works great.
2. You remove one disk, then reboot (this simulates a failed disk in real life).
3. RAID controller says RAID is missing one disk, and is in critical condition.
4. You shut down, reinsert original disk you removed, then reboot. Should redetect.
5. But there is NO WAY in the Control-A RAID setup to reintegrate reinserted drive.
Note, this is SAME drive I pulled out 1 boot before, it was a test for what happens if a drive fails.
The drive has all the data on it, but there is no option in setup to "rejoin missing drive to array".
This is FATAL FLAW in this HP BIOS setup? Standard Symbiosis RAID controller 4M, default with machine. It shows all 3 drives as part of RAID 5, but there is no setting to reintegrate a drive, once it is removed just once and system rebooted, even if NOTHING is wrong with drive. What am I missing?