Currently I have a LinkSys WRT54G ver 3 Wireless-G Broadband router. This router has 4 wired ports. I've configured WEP. DHCP is active by default. All other settings are at their default value. All the wired computers connected to this router on the same workgroup as well as all the wireless computers communicating with this router also on the same workgroup as the wired computers can get to the Internet and have access to the shared drives of the other computers. All is well in this configuration.
Since I am using all 4 wired ports on the Wireless router there are no spare ports available. I purchased a device which needs a wired port on the router. I purchased a LinkSys BEFSR41 ver 4 Cable/DSL Router with 4-port switch. I installed this second router as follows:
1. Powered off the cable modem.
2. Changed the default IP address for the Wireless router (WRT54G) from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2.
3. Powered off the Wireless router.
4. Plugged the cable modem into the Internet port of the Wired router (BEFSR41).
5. Connected an ethernet cable from the Internet port of the Wireless router to one of the numbered ports on the Wired router.
6. Switched one of my computers from the Wireless router to the Wired router.
7. Plugged the new device into the Wireless router.
8. Powered on the cable modem, Wireless router and Wired router.
9. Kept the default IP address of the Wired router at 192.168.1.1.
10. Disabled and enabled the network connection from each computer.
I am able to get to the Internet from any computer on either router. I am not able to see the shared devices on a computer connected to the Wired router from a computer using the Wireless router and visa versa.
Any assistance on how to allow all computers on either router to see the shared devices on any other computer on either router would be of great assistance to me.
Much thanks ... David