How to install RPM, YUM, and Java on FreeBSD
Posted on 2006-05-08
I am a newbie to this arena. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1) I have installed FreeBSD on one of our server with Webmin. There are software like Wildfire that I need to install on this server. I would like to download the RPM or BIN version of this package. However, when I try to run the "rpm" command from root /usr/local/, the message came back as "command not found".
2) I researched on and realized that I will need to install a rpm handling software such as RPM 4.4 or Yum. I went to download them, but now don't know how to install them. I searched high and low for installation docs, but most just point to the how-to of installing the rpm packaged software, but not the rpm software itself.
3) I also need to install the Java JRE or JDK 5.0 (according to Wildfire), but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to do that.
4) I toyed around with WebMin's add package, that didn't work. I also played around with the "pkg_add" and "make" command, that didn't help either. I need to know how to handle rpm packages not just for wildfire, but for all future software install. I mean why can't I just handle the package install from Webmin? It kept saying the package is not a FreeBSD package.
5) How do I install a .bin version of the software onto FreeBSD? In brief, how do I handle .bin installations?
Looking forward to your kind help.