• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 219
  • Last Modified:

Fixing the Internet Explorer Problem of "Click to activate Control"

I have attempted to make my Flash animations for my site run without the "Click to activate control" problem that Internet Explorer has thrust upon me. I've recently gone to the Macromedia site, downloaded the Active Content Extension - installed it to my computer and run all the through to step 7 on the "To Publish Flash Content using an Active Content HTML Template" but ran into problems. Is there an easier way to restore my Flash animations to their purity. Here is the site I went to for help:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=7c29e252

Please let me know if there is an easier way to restore my Flash files and please outline the steps in detail (I knew at this stuff). Thanks guys I appreciate it.
0
AllHale
Asked:
AllHale
  • 8
  • 5
1 Solution
 
Jason C. LevineNo oneCommented:
AllHale,

jcfrei found the answer to this several days ago:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/WebDevSoftware/DreamWeaver/Q_21825766.html
0
 
Jason C. LevineNo oneCommented:
Damn, hit submit before I finished.

Specifically, he found an extension that appears to deal with the problem:

http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=3DA1E
0
 
Jason C. LevineNo oneCommented:
AllHale,

See your other open question for more information.  There is a now a patch available from Adobe that addresses this issue.
0
Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

 
AllHaleAuthor Commented:
Sorry for the confusion. I thought my questions had been answered before (because there suggestion worked) but I have a webpage with multiple animations so I'm having further problems as I go along. So far, only one animation now loads "correctly" but the others still have the "Click to activate" crap on it. I've successful used the one by kirupa and it worked for the header animation that I have. But not for the others. I've also done what the kirupa site suggested but can't figure out how to allow for the other animations to work. Does anyone know what they mean by changing the "flashcontent" name, I attempted that but it didn't work the same as the other one. I would appreciate any further assistance and if needed I will post a different question.

Thanks for your time.
0
 
Jason C. LevineNo oneCommented:
AllHale,

Adobe has patched DW specifically to address this problem...you should download the updater and try it.
0
 
AllHaleAuthor Commented:
Hey Jason,

Thanks for your response. Yesterday, I downloaded the adobe patch and ran it, I ended up having to completely reload my Dreamweaver software because my computer said something along the lines of "Can't find this file .something.dll". And usually that means something is corrupted or deleted so here I sit. Back to square one. Does anyone know if Dreamweaver 8 is capable of fixing this problem at present? Should I just upgrade?
0
 
Jason C. LevineNo oneCommented:
I ran the patch yesterday and had no issues at all.  You are supposed to deactivate your extensions first, run the update, then reactivate extensions (in the instructions for the patch).

The patch appears to have fixed the issue as far as I can tell.
0
 
AllHaleAuthor Commented:
Thanks again Jason. I did deactivate the extensions prior to installation, I "disabled" them in the manager as the patch suggested. After installing the patch, I attempted to open Dreamweaver like I've done hundreds of times but it just read "Can't find this .... .dll". So I don't know what it could be? One question though that might be my problem: Did you choose to integrate the files or not. Somewhere during the installation it asks if you would like to overwrite the similar files or install the patch somewhere else (something along those lines). What choices did you choose for that part of the patch installation?
0
 
Jason C. LevineNo oneCommented:
Never prompted me for tat.  The patch just ran and finished.  Do you have multiple versions of DW installed?
0
 
AllHaleAuthor Commented:
No, just the Dreamweaver MX 2004 version. Also, I made sure to download the patch for Dreamweaver MX 2004 as well. Might it only be able to repair this problem on Dreamweaver 8 version?
0
 
Jason C. LevineNo oneCommented:
Yup.  That patch was for DW 8 only.  MX is no longer going to be supported.
0
 
AllHaleAuthor Commented:
I thought so. I'll upgrade to Dreamweaver 8, but do I still need to install the patch or are the newer sold versions have this problem solved already.
0
 
Jason C. LevineNo oneCommented:
The patch is only a week old, so CD versions should not include it.  Not sure about download versions of DW, but it's an easy thing to find out.  Just install DW 8 and check the version from Help | About.  If it doesn't say version 8.02, patch.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: SSL Checker

Scans your site and returns information about your SSL implementation and certificate. Helpful for debugging and validating your SSL configuration.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 8
  • 5
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now