Microsoft Exchange 5.5 Offline Restore Problems...
Posted on 2006-05-10
Ok, here goes my trials, tribulations and questions....
Yesterday we had a catastrophic disk failure on our Exchange 5.5 / Win2k server. The server was running Win2k with latest service pack and Exchange 5.5 Enterprise/SP4. The main drive failed AND the mirrored drive failed as well. What are the odds? We didn't have a backup of the database, so I spent most the day trying to retrieve data from the drive and I was able to successfully get the data off the drive with Winternals ERD. I have been planning to migrate this to a new server anyways, just not under these conditions. I had unwittingly deleted the logical server from the Site/Organization at the other Exchange server, so I know that screwed me on this whole offline restore procedure. Here's what I did:
I installed Exchange 5.5 and SP4 to a new server which was offline and named the same as the previous server.
Copied the priv.edb, pub.edb and dir.edb to the server in the appropriate places
ran eseutil /r on each of them
ran isinteg -patch on the database
brought the server up and it was running fine, so I connected it back to the network
Email was up an running at around midnight my time, so I called it a night at around 1am when I figured it was stable. When I woke up this morning and called in to see if all was well, I found that email was up and running but there were no names in the directory anymore. I am assuming because I deleted the logical server that it replicated with the existing server and wiped those names. I restored the databases again and repeated the procedure and haven't brought up the other server yet, which is only for OWA anyways. Now It is running again but I get a message that:
"Could not start the Microsoft Exchange Event Service on Local Computer.
The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error.
If the problem persists, contact your system administrator."
In the event log I see:
Event ID: 5
An unexpected MAPI error occurred. Error returned was (0x80004005).
I have tried several of the solutions I have found for this type of error, but I have not had any luck. The event service was fine after the initial restore, I am assuming that there was a problem with the replication between the servers last night that caused this.
1) I need help with settings to get this ES working again
2) I need help configuring the other server to properly communicate and replicate with this new server so as not to lose the complete directory again.