[Okta Webinar] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now


Move mailbox task displays current mailbox store but server and destination mailbox store are grayed out for specific user

Posted on 2006-05-11
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2010-08-05
I am trying to move a user's mailbox from one mailbox store to another mailbox store in a different storage group on the same Exchange 2003 SP3 server, however the drop down menus for server and mailbox store are grayed out in the Move Mailbox Task Wizard.  The only thing displayed is the current mailbox store.  I have checked several other users and can move their mailboxes with no issues so the problem is with this specific account/mailbox.  The account is active and the user is able to log on to the domain and retrieve his mail.  Even though this should not matter for active accounts, I have also tried adding the "Associated external account" permission to SELF under Exchange Advanced/Mailbox Rights as required when moving mailboxes for disabled accounts.  Is anyone familiar with this problem and knows of a solution other than deleting the account, recreating it, and attaching the mailbox to the new account?  I need to avoid doing so if possible.  Thank you.
Question by:rjsims
LVL 12

Accepted Solution

aa230002 earned 750 total points
ID: 16663804
Take the ldpdump of this specific user and another good user object using ldp.exe and compare both the accounts. there might be an attribute missing from this user object.
If you dont want to delete the account and recreate it, just because of permissions assigned to this user object, you might choose to "Remove Exchange Attributes" and then connect the mailbox back to the same user object, wait for Recipient Update service to stamp the user. It might solve the issue if an attribute value is missing from the user object or if RUS is not able to stamp the user, there might be some permissions issues on this particular AD object.

Using Ldp.exe to Find Data in the Active Directory

Amit Aggarwal.

Author Comment

ID: 16693801
Thank you for the suggestions Amit.  I compared the ldpdump of this user with a good user account and found no glaring inconsistencies (of course some values are unique).  Unfortunately, even after removing exchange attributes, effectively "deleting" the user's mailbox, and reattaching it I still couldn't move it from one store to another.  I ended up using exmerge.exe to temporarily store the contents of the old mailbox, creating a new mailbox, and importing the contents of the exmerge <username>.pst file into the new mailbox.  The new mailbox is working great and can be moved between mailbox stores so I am assuming there had to be an issue with the old mailbox probably caused by corrupt messages, etc.

Even though your suggestions did not ultimately solve the problem, they were good ideas and therefore deserve credit.


Featured Post

Upgrade your Question Security!

Add Premium security features to your question to ensure its privacy or anonymity. Learn more about your ability to control Question Security today.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Want to know how to use Exchange Server Eseutil command? Go through this article as it gives you the know-how.
This month, Experts Exchange sat down with resident SQL expert, Jim Horn, for an in-depth look into the makings of a successful career in SQL.
The basic steps you have just learned will be implemented in this video. The basic steps are shown to configure an Exchange DAG in a live working Exchange Server Environment and manage the same (Exchange Server 2010 Software is used in a Windows Ser…
To add imagery to an HTML email signature, you have two options available to you. You can either add a logo/image by embedding it directly into the signature or hosting it externally and linking to it. The vast majority of email clients display l…
Suggested Courses

834 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question