Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1040
  • Last Modified:

Commercial Zapper - Where the volume gets louder - Normalise or mute - UK/Eire PAL TV or HDMI HDTV

Hi All,

How do you stop the TV companies from making adverts noticably louder than the TV programms?  It's getting really annoying.  Yes I do listen to the radio :-)

Has anyone first hand experience of the telefairy or can recommend something similar.


Joseph O'Loughlin
Joseph O'Loughlin
1 Solution
Using an Automatic Gain Control (ACG) you can regulate the sound level.  It will work by lowering the volume when it gets too high, or by increasing the volume when it gets too low.  I heard these can get expensive for high-end sound equipment, but the one I tried was cheaper.  It was the Terk Technology VR-1 TV RCA Volume Regulator (you can find it on Amazon.com).  It works using RCA connections and just sits in between the input signal and your speakers, so its very simple to install.  It works OK, and for a $50 product I would recommend it.  While in use, the difference in sound level can be subtle and I'm sure it wont blow you away, but if you play around with it and run some tests you will see that its working, and be able notice the difference between when the unit is turned on and off.
Joseph O'LoughlinAuthor Commented:
At that price I will likely order it and give it a try.  It may be a while ariving though.

Featured Post

How to Use the Help Bell

Need to boost the visibility of your question for solutions? Use the Experts Exchange Help Bell to confirm priority levels and contact subject-matter experts for question attention.  Check out this how-to article for more information.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now