There are a bunch of things going on with this small network and I hope I have not gone off on too many tangents with the way things are set up.
I am setting up a small Netware 6.5 Small Business Suite server that will start with about 10 users and might go to as many as 25.
It will be used primarily for file services internally plus some access from the Internet.
We develop software for a niche market and the programmer has been using PcAnywhere to upload files to a PC in house where we then test it and package it for download and upload it to an offsite server that has more bandwidth than our T1. I want the programmer to directly access the Novell Server to upload the software to start keeping files more central.
Can I restrict access to specific external IP addresses and if so how. We are considering allowing some of our sales distributors to directly access the server also so I want to lock down what external computers can log on to our network.
Other servers on the Internal network include:
1) A Linux based WebServer (which I am considering changing to the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server from Novell, apparently the SBS license also entitles us to a license for SLES). We use this to host our websites and sometimes to upload files to for someone to download where we are not concerned about multiple downloads at once impacting our T1 bandwidth.
2) A Windows 2003 Server. This will be used for testing using the dotnetfx 2.0 ability to update files for the software we develop. We currently have our clients download the whole software package when there is an update and we want them to be able to update only the changed files (Which will be a separate question on EE as we have not done it before). The intent is to use this primarily for proof of concept and then move the function to the offsite server with more bandwidth.
Some other factors/questions include:
There are actually 2 Internet connections here. One is the T1 and the other is a fairly fast DSL. We use them for different purposes (VOIP, up/downloads, Internet access, hosting websites) and also so that just by changing the gateway IP we can still have Internet access if one connection is down. All the printers are networked by assigning Static IP Addresses so no need for Netware print services.
My questions come down to
1) General critique/recommendations of how we are setup for what we are doing.
2) Recommendations for a motherboard for the Novell 6.5 that would support SATA Raid (we plan on doing a hardware based mirror using 2 drives) and hopefully have SCSI on board for support tape backup. I have a 2U case I want to put it in. We do have an Adaptec 1420SA which should support Netware but onboard would be simpler. I figure 1GB RAM and 2.4GHZ or higher would handle our needs.
3) Alternate backup solution recommendations appreciated.
TIA for your help