I need to combine 4 domains within the same forest into one domain. Three domains include the root domain and are in one tree and the 4th domain is a separate tree. The root domain also has an Exchange 2003 Enterprise box in it which serves users in all 4 domains.
My current config:
Within the same forest I have:
In the second forest I have:
I have been going through countless posts in Experts Exchange and I feel like I have a good handle on most of this migration. So, first my general plan then my questions. If you have any suggestions or see any flaws in my migration steps please let me know. I realize I'm leaving some gritty details out like recreating GPO's, creating OU's, etc. I'm looking more big picture here.
1. Use ADMT 3.0 to move all accounts, groups, and computers from b.root.com into root.com.
2. Kill the DC in b.root.com.
3. Use ADMT 3.0 to move all accounts, groups, and computers from a.root.com into root.com.
4. Kill the DC in a.root.com.
5. Use ADMT 3.0 to move all accounts, groups, and computers from leaves.com into root.com.
6. Kill the DC in leaves.com.
7. I need to rename the remaining DC in root.com using netdom found in Windows 2003 Support Tools. Found instructions in EE link http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_domain_controller_rename.htm
8. I need to rename the domain root.com into somethingelse.com. Found instructions in EE link http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm
with more details on the rename tool in Microsoft site.
A. When I migrate using ADMT does the old domain disappear or do I have to take steps to make it go away within root.com?
B. What happens to Exchange during all of this? The Exchange box serves accounts in all four domains. As I consolidate domains/users I want their mail to continue to work on the server. We are talking about 250 mailboxes so I don't wanna recreate any.