No Monitor Signal, POST beep successful, HD/Fans/Lights Working, Overheat??
Posted on 2006-05-17
P4 3.4 GhZ (Prescott)
ASUS P5GD2 Motherboard
Corsair 512mb x 2 matched pair
High End ATI GfX Card, i forget which
A bunch of SATA hard drives
Hi everybody. I'm having a pretty big problem with my desktop system. Originally a friend of mine overclocked this system slightly from 3.4 ghz to 3.6 ghz. We checked the heat issues using tools like CPU-BurnIn, and everything seemed fine for probably a year. I guess over time the dust built up or something, because the comp started overheating and shutting down automatically. I turned the overclocking off via the BIOS, and in addition to that, relocated the computer right near an open window so it was constantly taking in cool fresh air. That took care of all signs of overheating.
The other day I had to relocate the computer into a different room. I used it for a little bit, and left to go out for the night. I've left this computer on all day and night many times without problems. I returned the next morning to find my computer and monitor both still powered, the monitor with a black screen which is normal after being on standby. But for some reason this time the comp wont respond to mouse/keyboard movement and turn my screen back on. After messing with it for several minutes and getting nowhere, I decided to hard restart and held the power button until it shut off. So everything shuts down quick, and I turn the computer back on. Everything seems normal, lights go on, hard drives are spinning, processor fan is blowing, I even get the single beep in the beginning. However, my monitor does not get a signal, and I dont think the computer is booting into windows. Basically it can only get into the state I found it in.
I think the computer overheated and shutdown thanks to its auto shut down features when it gets too hot. But why now would it not turn back on? I mean I am sure it is quite possible that something is fried, but it has overheated before and shut itself down to be just fine later. Isnt the point of features like that to prevent parts from being damaged? I am not sure what to make of it, I was using the computer just fine the night before, I left and came back, and now this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.