When publishing any report to Crystal Reports Server (11) and running the report via Infoview......if the report has a PARAMETER the following message is received "Failed to open the connection" (*.rpt). If the report's parameter is removed the report runs fine. These reports have been tested with the Administrator user and a test user ID. I have patched the server with the most recent CR Server 11 service pack and hot fixes. These reports run with and without the parameter on a standalone version of CR 11 which resides on my workstation and a standalone version of CR 11 which resides on the server. I have spent about 6 hours on the phone with Business Objects without resolution. Help please!