[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 978
  • Last Modified:

OWA stopped working after attempt to fix ScanMail webconsole

Hi Experts,
In a crunch here.  I upgraded my ScanMail from 6.2 to 7.0.  After it completed, the webconsole won't open.  In my searching for the issue, I found a possible fix that told me to do the following.

1. Open the Internet Information Server (IIS) console on the local server.

2. Go to Application Pools.

3. Right click on DefaultAppPool and then choose Properties.

4. Go to the Identity tab.

5. Under Predefined section, select the Local System instead of Network Service option. (here it asked me if I wanted to change this for the ExchangeApplicationPool and ExchangeMobileBrowseApplicationPool as well.  I chose yes)

6. Close the window and then restart the WWW Publishing service.

7. Close all browser/s and then reopen the console.

After doing so, now my OWA stopped working.  

I have exchange 2003 on win 2003.  OWA set up for using a SSL and FBA and redirect of any non HTTPS requests to the HTTPS.  

I went back and set the setting back to Network Service option and restarted everything, but it still doesn't work.  Please help.  Thank you.
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
thetraveler359Author Commented:
additional info:

I'm getting the following new errors in the app log.

Process IISIPME6DFA28C-B7D7-4DF2-9808-4239C1591613 -AP "EXCHANGEAPPLICATIONPOOL (PID=2588). The shared memory heap could not be created.

Error: The Template Persistent Cache initialization failed for Application Pool 'ExchangeApplicationPool' because of the following error: Could not create a Disk Cache Sub-directory for the Application Pool. The data may have additional error codes..

The description for Event ID ( 101 ) in Source ( Messageware Core Services ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .
NetoMeter ScreencastsCommented:
First, I would suggest checking your OWA settings with the default OWA settings which you can see here:

Next, it might be a good idea to consider the possibility of having metabase corruption. You can get more info and see troubleshooting steps here:

Last, very often, resetting the Exchange virtual directories fixes such problems. This is not a difficult procedure and you can see a demo here:

I hope you find the above links helpful.

NetoMeter ScreencastsCommented:
I am sorry.
I posted before refershing and reading your second post.

I think this is the problem that you have and the solution which MS suggests:

thetraveler359Author Commented:
Thanks Dean.  That was exactly the issue.  The ExchangeApplicationPool Identity needed to be set to Local System.  I thought it needed to be Network Service.


Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now