I have an NT4.0 domain, 1 server - PDC with exchange 5.5 - server A, 1 server - BDC with exchange 5.5 - server B.
The BDC will be moved to my location for the project but lives in the next state, connects via point to point
I have new hardware ready to go and brint the domain up to 2003. I have reviewed lots of the postings and just want to verify info. So...please advise and correct as necessary, I do not want this to generate a resume.
1. install NT 4.0 on new server, join domain and install as a BDC, (I have forgotten how to do this, last time was years ago).
2. promote to PDC - or transfer, again I have forgotten how to do this.
At this point I shoud have the AD at 2003 mixed mode? What should I check, etc...
3. have a 2003 server join the domain, run forest and domain prep, install exchange 2003 on this new member server.
4. migrate/transfer the mailboxes from the bdc that was the pdc (server A) to the new exchange server.
5. for the bdc that lives in the other state (server B), should I make a 2003 domain controller and install exchange, then transfer mailboxes from server B? I am concerned that if this replacement server is not a DC and running exchange, if the link goes down users at the remote site will not be able to log in and get email.
6. unplug existing NT 4 BDC/exchange boxes and see how they work
Other questions/problems - what sort of time frame should I allow - weekend?
The PDC 5.5 exchange server has hit its size limit a month ago, and is probably close to it again.
What about backing up the 5.5 store and restoring it into the 2003 exchange? Or would that just not work? I am using veritas.
What sort of time frame for allowing the 5.5 abd 2003 servers lo co-exist before romoving them from the domain?
Any other got ya's to look out for?
Thanks a whole lot - Wayne