Messages stuck in outbox for traveling MS Exchange users using 2 profiles and 1 pst

Posted on 2006-05-26
Last Modified: 2008-02-26
I have recently implemented Exchange 2003 and am now experiencing a problem with our users who travel.  Messages are getting stuck in the Outbox.  The way I have them configured is like this.  I have two profiles setup in Outlook.  One is "In Office" and one is "Out of Office".  Both profiles are pointing to the same PST file.  The "in office" profile is using Exchange to send and receive.  The "Out of Office" profile is using POP/SMTP to send and receive.  Both profiles are using the same PST file to deliver mail to.  They have no problems when in the office and using Exchange.  The problem comes in when they are traveling and sending out email using SMTP.  They can send out 70% of their emails without a problem out of the office.  The other 30% get stuck in the outbox.  Once they come into the office they can switch to the Exchange "in office" profile and send and maybe 1 or 2 will go out.  The rest have to be deleted and recreated.  

In testing a few things I noticed that if I open up the POP account while in the office I got all of the messages to send that were stuck.  I just don't know what is causing the messages to get stuck in the first place while they are out of the office.  They get no errors sending and recieving, they just don't move.  

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Question by:Globalviews
    LVL 104

    Accepted Solution

    If you are using Exchange 2003, then why are you using POP3/SMTP and PST files?
    Furthermore, if you meet the requirements on the domain then you should be using RPC over HTTPS as a client access system. It is much more reliable and provides the user with the full Exchange feature set.

    This requires Outlook 2003, which you get a license for as part of the Exchange 2003 CALs.


    Author Comment

    I have heard the opposite of RPC over HTTPS which is why we are not using it.  We are using the PST's for traveling users only because Exchange is slower over VPN especially over dial up rather than just using POP3/SMTP.  

    This same setup has been used by others without a problem.  If I have to I will use RPC over HTTP, however I would like to find an answer to why my current setup is having problems first.

    LVL 26

    Expert Comment

    try increasing "Server Timeouts" in the POP3 SMTP profile and see if that will make any diffrence

    Author Comment

    No, that does not help.  Outlook doesn't even try to send them.  They are just sitting in the Outbox as if they weren't there all.  

    Featured Post

    Are your corporate email signatures appalling?

    Is it scary how unprofessional your email signatures look? Do users create their own terrible designs and give themselves stupid job titles? You can make this a lot easier for yourself by choosing an email signature management solution from Exclaimer today.

    Join & Write a Comment

    Resolve Outlook connectivity issues after moving mailbox to new Exchange 2016 server
    ADCs have gained traction within the last decade, largely due to increased demand for legacy load balancing appliances to handle more advanced application delivery requirements and improve application performance.
    The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability groups. The components of this video include: 1. Automatic Failover 2. Failover Clustering 3. Active Manager
    how to add IIS SMTP to handle application/Scanner relays into office 365.

    755 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

    Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

    Join & Ask a Question

    Need Help in Real-Time?

    Connect with top rated Experts

    20 Experts available now in Live!

    Get 1:1 Help Now