System shows two processors but I only have one!?!?!?
Posted on 2006-05-28
I'm confused. I built this machine and I think I did something wrong. I bougt a new mother board, processor and memory all together from the same vendor. It's a good ASUS mother board. It's a 3 Ghz processor and 1GB of RAM. This thing should fly. It doesn't really. I'm using it a lot for television capture with my TV card, but I do a lot of plain old word processing too. I put in a RAM monitoring program and, except for a couple of spikes when something big is opening or running, about 70-75% of the RAM is free. So, I decided to chek out the CPU.
The device manager lists two instanaces of the same CPU as installed in my machine. When I check out the performance of my CPU in task manager and I have 'show one graph for each CPU' checked off, it shows two graphs. When I'm burning a DVD, one CPU registers at about 50-75% usage and the other as 20-25% usage.
I know I only have one CPU. I put it in. It has a fan the size of a softball. You can't miss it. It would be nice of I really did have dual 3GHz CPUs. That would be sweet, but it just ain't true. What gives?
Could it be causing some sort of conflict that's slowing my system down? I know I'm doing some processor intensive stuff, but it's just TOO slow sometimes, even when I'm doing nothing big. I could just right click on one and uninstall it, but that could do bad things, no?
What's a boy to do?