This is for you electrical engineering types... I've inherited a network with cisco 10/100 switches, however for a complicated reason (and lack of foresight) the wall jacks are all cat5 wired with only wires 1,2,3 and 6. 4,5 and 7,8 were used for phone connections.
We're a hotel, so when a guest arrives with their laptop, it works fine UNLESS they have a newer laptop with a gigabit NIC thats set to autosense. When they connect that, the NIC doesn't display a link light at all. However, if I go into the driver for the NIC and tell is to use 10 or 100 mb instead of autosense, it works every time.
So obviously I need to fix something... and my predecessor is gone so I can't "fix" him like a vet ;)
My question is whether to put gigabit switches on the bastardized wiring and then it will work, or to rewire and keep my 10/100 switches. I'm wondering if the lack of two pair in the jack is really causing this... or if the problem isn't the wiring but the switches. I have basically one shot to get it working... can't afford to do wiring and switches at the same time (though I know thats the ultimate solution).