Very simple ... switch & 2 subnets question
Posted on 2006-05-31
I wonder if someone can fill in a couple of gaps in my understanding here ... embarrassing question time.
1. COMPANYA is on 10.10.1.0 / 255.255.255.0
2. COMPANYB is on 184.108.40.206 / 255.255.255.0
3. Both companies are not connected to each other - one is 'downstairs', one is 'upstairs' ... they each have their own gateway (ISA) to the outside world, servers, AD etc ...
4. Both companies share the same server room and use HP Procurve 2824/2650 switches ... the 2824's are next to one another in my racking
I wanted to create a persistant link between the 2 companies - mainly for admin reasons and testing
1. Can I use the switches to link the 2 subnets ? (ie. connect COMPANYA 2824 switch to COMPANYB switch on a gigabit port)
2. If not, please briefly explain and suggest what I need
I've tried the above and added a ROUTE ADD to my local workstation to test, and it's not happening for me ... so I wanted to check that what I am doing is actually possible.
I guess this question could have been written a lot simplier
"Can I use a 2824 switch to connect to different subnets together and use it to route traffic. If not, what would you use?"
Thanks and sorry for being a bit dumb.