NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5 Migration to new Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 server
Posted on 2006-06-01
The current environment has an NT 4.0 server running Sp6. This server is their primary domain controller - basically, it's everything to them; PDC, file shares, printer queues, exchange 5.5.
The new server is a windows 2003 standard server and will run exchange 2003.
Other important facts:
- We're not changing the domain name
- I'm planning to use the MS tools such as ADMT tools to move users and copy exchange mailboxes.
- The NT 4.0 with exchange 5.5 will be removed from service once migration is complete.
- There are about 50 users total, each with an exchange mailbox to copy
- There's about 15gig of user data in various user home directories (relatively private) and departmental directories
- We would prefer that everyone's password is not lost in the migration though no password complexity is required in NT4 but will be enabled on windows 2003 standard server
- Exchange is installed on the new machine in mixed mode right now.
- Nothing has been done as of yet to create users or move mailboxes so I'm trying to do this right the first time!
I'd like to have a discussion here in this forum as to what the best approach is in terms of sequence and timing of this upgrade. Specifically, I'd like input as to what is the correct sequence of events to perform this upgrade (AD before mailbox move if that's right) and any snags you think we might run into.
Thank you and I look forward to a great discussion.