General security advice
Posted on 2006-06-01
The other day on a different question, r-k said that he wouldn't use ZoneAlarm. That got me thinking that I should review what I'm doing. Here's my network layout:
- A DSL modem connects me in bridge mode to my ISP.
- I run a cable for the DSL modem to a WRT45G broadband router's Internet port (router1).
- From router1, some physical cables go to computers and
- From router1, one physical cable goes to another WRT45G router (router2)
- router2 connects via WiFi to two laptops and several PDAs
- From router1, several PDAs attach via WiFi
- Router1 has its firewall enabled
- the only ports allowed through are 25 and 110 (I run a mail server)
- All my systems (non-PDA) behind the router1 firewall run ZoneAlarm
- Firewall is enabled
- AntiVirus is enabled
- Incoming and outgoing E-mail protections are enabled
- All my systems (non-PDA) behind the router1 firewall run Microsoft's AntiSpyware
I'd like a critique and some clean advice on how I might best arrange this for
- minimum fuss
- least money
- best security
and some explanations why you suggest what you do.
Many thanks in advance.