Can't boot - powerEdge1420_raid1_adaptec39320_HELP!
Posted on 2006-06-02
- Have a 4 mo. old Dell PowerEdge1420 server, configured with SATA Raid1, scsi controllor is the adaptec 39320.
Bad sectors were found and fixed with chkdsk, then everything worked, ran chkdsk a second time
and it ran clean.
......looking back, here's the point in the process where we should have just stopped and called it quits.
( we were only looking at 3-4 hours of lost data.....that's very acceptable considering what we're dealing with now!)
however, we marched onward and attempted to recover the lost data by braking the array, booting into one drive, then the other and try and recover a few files - ... this didn't work....
now, after re-creating the array ( 2 attempts) we're not able to boot!!!!
- in the adaptec utility, everything appears normal, drives are marked bootable, etc
- during post it just doesn't see ( or in the bios, which I have reset defaults ) the scsi drives
Dell support is useless, they recommend sending drives out to data recovery (....anybody got 10k laying aroud?)
saying that once the array was broken, it's not likely that you can get it back. I know this to be incorrrect from
past experience with other systems.
- our number one concern at this point: !!!!!! recovering about 10gigs of data off one of the partitions
...last night I was grumbling about the possibility of having to re-install, right now I would happily re-install windows if I can have my data back!
- i'm thinking about installing windows on another hdrive ( not off the controllor, i can use an ATA hDrive), thinking that then I could pull the data off the raid drives -
but I'm not doing anything untill I hear from you experts.
Thanks in advanced, ( heart-rates are beating pretty fast around here)