Email getting left on server, some attachments not coming in, cannot delete messages
Posted on 2006-06-05
This may get lengthy:
I have been having a problem with MS Outlook receiving (not receiving) emails. I ran into to this problem a couple of weeks ago and came up with, what ended up being a temporary solution....the problem is back.
Before I get started, I contacted my ISP on this and they have proven to be no help on the matter.
When I attempt to receive email, outlook will try to pull messages off of the server, on average 70% of the emails can be received but the other 30% of them cause Outlook to get hung up and eventually come back with an error message that states it could not receive certain messages. The problem started with just 1 email but has now gone to more messages getting "stuck" on the server. I can log on to my webmail account and read my emails there (they are legit emails from parties who are in my address book). I read the emails, delete them, and have to wait until midnight that day for them to be cleared from the server so that Outlook can stop attempting to receive them. This is getting frustrating.
I am also having some problems with the odd email coming in to Outlook with the attachments (that I know came with the email) being taken off. In one instance I ran into both of the problems just mentioned with an email from a customer. He sent me a number of pdf attachments. The email got through to Outlook without the attachments but when I went onto webmail, the email was still there with the attachments. Since it was on the server still, I changed my email settings to MAPI and tried to receive it again...Outlook would not receive it.
The temporary solution that I came up with a couple of weeks ago was a reinstall of Outlook. This worked for about 3 days before emails began to be left on server again.
As I also mentioned at the start of this description, my ISP is totally dumbfounded by this issue and cannot offer any support past recommending a switch to MAPI to avoid the hang up...This doesn't work for me because I need to get this data into Outlook and stored appropriately.