Boy do I need help. I am a newbie system administrator. I have taken over a system that has been neglected for a while. I have several MS updates that the server has downloaded and qued to install. I am paranoid to just OK them all. Here is what I have and the patches that are waiting to be installed. Please give me your feedback on what should or should not be OK to apply. I have also asked a few specific questions on some updates.
Here is what I have running on the Server:
Running Windows Server 2000 SP 4 on Dell Poweredge 4600 Server (is a domain controller)
MS SQL Server 2000
Symantec Antivirus Corp edition 10.0
ActiveState Active Pearl 5.8
Auto Share Manager
Broadcom Advanced Control Suite
Dell Open Manage Applications
Power Quest Volume Manager 2.0
IE Explorer - Seldom if ever use it.
Outlook Express – Never used.
Here are the Microsoft updates waiting to be installed:
1. Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (KB912812)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-013 (Question: Server is not used for web browsing so do I really need to install this?).
2. Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (KB911567)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-016 (Question: Server is not used for sending emails so do I really need to install this?).
3. Security Update for Microsoft Data Access Components 2.5 Service Pack 3 (KB911562)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-014 (Question: We are running SQL Server 2000, will this update effect that in anyway? Have several mission critical databases so I don’t want to mess them up.)
4. Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB896424)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-053
Vulnerabilities in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Code Execution
5. Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB908519)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-002
Vulnerability in Embedded Web Fonts Could Allow Remote Code Execution (908519)
6. Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB908531)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-015
Vulnerability in Windows Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution (908531)
7. Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB908523)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-055
Vulnerability in Windows Kernel Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (908523)
8. Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB912919)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-001
Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Remote Code Execution (912919)
9. Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB913580)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-018
Vulnerability in Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator Could Allow Denial of Service (913580)
10. Security Update for Windows Media Player Plug-in (KB911564)
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-006
Vulnerability in Windows Media Player Plug-in with Non-Microsoft Internet Browsers Could Allow Remote Code Execution (911564) (Question: Media player is not used, so do I really need to install this update?)
11. Update for Windows 2000 (KB904368)
Office programs may stop responding when you save a new file to a floppy disk drive on a Windows 2000-based computer that has Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 installed. (Question: Office not installed, do I really need to install this update?)
12. Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) (Question: Any issues with running this on a server?)
I know this is a long question, so I am awarding it a lot of points. Thanks.