running sysocmgr on a domain

Posted on 2006-06-06
Last Modified: 2012-08-13
hi techies

i have kinda big network running a domain, and i recently realised that one is able to install or uninstall applications using the sysocmgr.exe

I have been able to uninstall the windows 2k and Xp default games using sysocmgr.exe, but this was on 2 or 3  individual client machines. am not so good with programing or writing scripts, but i wld like to use the sysocmgr.exe to uninstall all the games .. from a central location rather than walking around the whole network. How is this possible. Or has someone done it.. i wld be so happy if you can make it easier for me.

thanks though.. and folks, go for the points...

Question by:kirunda
    LVL 38

    Accepted Solution

    The easiest way is probably to use the free utility PsExec from Sysinternals.  This allows you to remotely run programs as if they were executing locally on the target computers.

    From playing with sysocmgr.exe a little, it seems to prefer that the file from the /u switch be on a local drive rather than a network drive.

    The following steps should accomplish what you want:

    1. Create a text file named nogames.txt in the same directory as psexec.exe and enter the following text:

    Pinball = off
    ZoneGames = off
    Hearts = off
    FreeCell = off
    Minesweeper = off
    Solitaire = off
    Spider = off

    2. Create a text file named computerlist.txt and place it in the same directory.  Enter the names of all the target computers, one per line.  

    3. Go to a command line and browse to the directory containing psexec.exe.  Run the following command to copy nogames.txt to C:\ on all the workstations:
    for /F %G in (computerlist.txt) do xcopy nogames.txt \\%G\c$\ /V /C /R /Y

    4. Run the following command to uninstall games on all the workstations:
    psexec @computerlist.txt sysocmgr /i:%systemroot%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\nogames.txt

    5. If desired, run the following command to delete nogames.txt from all the workstations.
    for /F %G in (computerlist.txt) do del  /F /Q \\%G\c$\nogames.txt

    Author Comment

    *deleted by Netminder 10 July 2006*

    mrandyman.. fortunately u are not the 1st person to have read it and posted a reply. I knew all that i was writting. and if u take note of the last line, i put it to an end by directing you to the points and not to my grammar.

    think abt the points and what works for me, please. I will take note of the spelling and the punctuation next time.

    Author Comment

    SHift-3, thank you for your comment. It is helpful though i havent yet tried it out, coz my concern was focusing on how to run the command using the MS Windows tools. I mean, i had a feeling that somewhere using group policy in the OU, i could setup a policy for the kind... Your idea was working out for me, but i was more intrested in something along the lines of the question, not any tool that can run commands.

    If i possible, i wld have split the points to 65% for you. and i retain the other 35% but thank you for opening up my understanding of stuff.

    Seems u are gona have the points @ Shift-3.

    Write Comment

    Please enter a first name

    Please enter a last name

    We will never share this with anyone.

    Featured Post

    What Should I Do With This Threat Intelligence?

    Are you wondering if you actually need threat intelligence? The answer is yes. We explain the basics for creating useful threat intelligence.

    Occasionally Windows/Microsoft Updates will fail to update. We have found a code that will delete all temporary files and re-register all dll's related to Windows/Microsoft Updates! This works 99% of the time to get the updates working again! The…
    Introduction How to create multiboot configuration with XP\Vista and Windows 7 on it? And most important question - how to do this correctly so not to have any kind of nightmares we get when system gets screwed? First of all one should realize t…
    Hi everyone! This is Experts Exchange customer support.  This quick video will show you how to change your primary email address.  If you have any questions, then please Write a Comment below!
    Here's a very brief overview of the methods PRTG Network Monitor ( offers for monitoring bandwidth, to help you decide which methods you´d like to investigate in more detail.  The methods are covered in more detail in o…

    737 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

    Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

    Join & Ask a Question

    Need Help in Real-Time?

    Connect with top rated Experts

    18 Experts available now in Live!

    Get 1:1 Help Now