I have what seems to be a nastier version of Musky29's problem (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Q_21422223.html
) - some 3rd party installation has knocked my DLLs out of whack. I am using Win2k, Office XP Pro and IE6, and I keep Windows Update right up to the minute.
My symptoms are:
* Internet Explorer gives me runtime errors saying "Error in loading DLL" on any page with any sort of script on it
* MS Word repeatedly says "The Visual Basic environment could not be initialized"
* The Windows Update website will not load because of the DLL error (presumably preventing it from loading the ActiveX stuff)
* Add/Remove programs either will not open at all or will give an error while opening and show only the tabs on the left, with nothing on the right
* No programs with embedded HTML browsers will work, like iTunes or PHPEdit.
Here's what I've tried and what's happened:
* Office 'Detect and Repair' results in lots of "Error 1911: Setup cannot register type library for file..."
* SFC /scannow determines that some of my files need restoring, goes through the motions with no errors, but has no effect
* Installing VB6 runtime SP6 ran into the error "Error registering the OCX C:\WINNT\system32\OLEAUT32
* Running this backdoor IE repair (rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenanc
e "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt") fails because it is unable to register a long list of DLLs
I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can offer helpful suggestions. Thanks in advance,