I have been having so much trouble getting ActiveSync to work and really need some experts advice.
I had oma and owa up and running, but my Exchange Server gave me the following error on Sync:
The mailbox server [exchange.letterpart.local
] does not allow "Negotiate" authentication to its [exchange] virtual directory. Exchange ActiveSync can only access the server using this authentication scheme. For information about how to configure Exchange virtual directory settings, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 817379, "Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access errors occur when SSL or forms-based authentication is required for Exchange Server 2003" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=817379
). For information about how to properly configure IIS to support Kerberos and NTLM authentication, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 215383, "How To Configure IIS to Support Both Kerberos and NTLM Authentication" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=215383
). This issue may occur after installing Windows SharePoint Services on a server running Exchange Server 2003. For information about how to properly configure a server to run both Windows SharePoint Services and Exchange Server 2003, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 823265, "You receive a "Page not found" error message when you use Outlook Web Access (OWA) to browse the Exchange Server 2003 client after you install Windows SharePoint Services" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=823265
So, what I did was edited the Authentication Methods for my Exchange VD and selected Integrated Windows authentication.
This then worked a treat and I could sync fine.
The trouble then was that my users couldn't log on to owa using IE. Firefox worked fine, but when they used IE and entered their username/password it would return the log in screen with the servers domain or IP address prepended to their user name. Switching off Windows auth fixes this.
So, my next step was to create a new VD using the instructions on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379/
whci I found difficult as I couldn't export the settings using: Save Configuration to a File. But I managed to create a new VD, called it ExchMobile, and added a new string value to the registry pointing ExchangeVDir to this folder.
The error I now get is:
Request from user firstname.lastname@example.org resulted in the Microsoft(R) Exchange back-end server EXCHANGE returning an HTTP error with status code 500
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 11:47:49 GMT
For more information see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
and if I go to webmail.domain.com/oma in my browser I get the following message after logging in:
Unable to connect to your mailbox on server EXCHANGE. Please try again later. If the problem persists contact your administrator
We are running Exchange 2003 as a single server in native mode, trying to connect using Windows Mobile 5.
thanks for your help,