Earlier today, a Firefox error appeared causing all browser tabs / windows to close.
After partially loading, Firefox now hangs indefinitely.
Here's what I've done thus far:
Action (a): Tools --> Extensions menu is not accessiable (due to hang), so I manually removed all the extensions from the below following path and restarted Firefox -
\Documents and Settings\(user account)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(8-character profile).default\extensions
Result (a): No change
Action (b): Uninstalled / reinstalled Firefox v188.8.131.52
Result (b): No change
Action (c): Uninstalled v184.108.40.206 / installed Firefox v220.127.116.11
Result (c): No change
Note(s): Tried a number of different iterations re: versions (i.e., v1.0.7)
Action (d): Restarted in Safe Mode with Networking; launched Firefox
Result (d): No change
Action (e): Uninstalled / reinstalled Firefox v18.104.22.168, but manually removed all folders affiliated with Firefox from the below paths -
\Documents and Settings\(user account)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
\Documents and Settings\(user account)\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Result (e): Firefox loaded successfully
Action (f): Began process of manually adding back bookmarks, extensions, etc.; began by replacing old bookmarks.html file in \Documents and Settings\(user account)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(8-character profile).default via Windows Explorer; launched Firefox
Result (f): Firefox hangs once again
Action (g): Transferred bookmarks.html file over to one of our test boxes and placed in pre-existing profile w/in above Mozilla directory
Result (g): Firefox hangs on the second computer as well
Action (h): Opened bookmarks.html in WordPad to determine where the issues were; markup wasn't formated well, so used HTML-Kit to try and clean up / format (i.e., indent) and hoped that app would flag any errors within the file (my thoughts are that the file was corrupted when Firefox suddenly closed)
Result (h): Saw bookmarks.html file was 5580 lines long, realized I've struggled with this for several hours and decided to turn to the best forum I know for assistance
I've tried the Import... --> From File option via the Bookmarks --> Manage Bookmarks... menu.
I've tried cutting and pasting portions of the original bookmarks.html into the auto-generated bookmarks.html via WordPad.
I've imported bookmarks.html into IE via the Import / Export Wizard.
Works, but I lose all formatting (i.e., ordering, horizontal breaks, etc.) and - well - they're in IE now.
There's gotta be a utility, extension or something out there that can serve as a solution and option to manually rebuilding all of my bookmarks.