Mapping drives to or from a XPPro ceased working one day, works using TCP-IP address
Posted on 2006-06-08
The short question: My worklaptop is suddenly unable to do share drives (sharing out to others or sharing others have mapped) if I just use the hostname. It worked fine, then one day (it gets rebooted often) all share attempts fail with Network path not found or Error 53 (depending on which command I use to map). Also I notice when looking for a share with the GUI browse tool it only sees itself on the Window network.
The Long background info:
Laptop problem machine: WinXP Pro SP2 (windows Autoupdate running, I usully accept fixes from MS). Network is "standard" as after a normal install, ie TCPIP, MSnetClient, MS FileShare. There is both a wireless and a LAN interface, and the problem is identical whichever I use. (Also modem, Bluetooth, IR, but they're not in use)
Before the misery started, the laptop travels between work and home and a few CT sites, usually set up with DHCP on the wireless connection. At home I have (my own) WinXP Home machine which shares out som directories and the printer. The ADSL router w/wireless does the DHCP. Laptop home, shares appear, printouts work. At work a similar situation.
Then one day after a forced shutdown the laptop refuses to map to the home machine. The same with the machines at work. Substituting the ip-address makes things work again. That is OK when I map to stationary machines, but anything that is DHCP based does of course change its address, which is why I prefer to use the node/machine names.
I also have VMWare installed and I need to map drives between the hostlaptop and the virtual machines.
Just to reiterate: This has all worked. I have not (consiously) made any change to the network configuration.
So what have I tried? Pull my hair, scream, cry... I have compared my network setting with well working machines. I have compared services that are running. I have verified that itis my laptop that is the problem, and not everybody else. I have browsed MS-site, Googled and read about 20 posts here on EE. I have tried "netsh" to reset/rebuild the winsock registry. The probelm is the same on the LAN and the wireless connection. I have asked knowledgable colleagies - we tried varying the "simple network share", all 3 variations of NetBios over TCP/IP, flushing IP, DNS and whatnot chaches....
I have one very drastic option left - revert to a saved image (we use Ghost to backup the laptops against loss, theft and cosmic rays).