Problem with assigning to user and enterprise activation for a 7130e

Posted on 2006-06-09
Last Modified: 2011-10-03
I've been trying to sync a brand new 7130e with our blackberry server and I keep getting errors. When I try to assign the handheld to a user, the PIN number will get associated with the user (sometimes), but no other information can be obtained from the handheld. I keep getting a "Capability information could not be retrieved from the handheld (2)" message. I've tried deleting the user out of the blackberry manager, and clearing all blackberry data for the user, and then adding her in again, but it keeps doing the same thing. It's a Sprint Blackberry phone if that makes any difference. All other blackberries syncing up with our server are Verizon. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Question by:Vardata
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
LVL 14

Expert Comment

ID: 16870668
sounds like you are trying to do a wireless activation.  Just for laughs do activation from the cradle.  And (to hunt for mice using an elephant gun) if the user was previously using another blackberry or blackberry service from their computer; uninstall the previous BB Desktop manager and if C:\Program Files\Research in Motion exists, rename it and then reboot.  This will start the user off with a clean PC where you can install the BB desktop manager.

LVL 63

Accepted Solution

SysExpert earned 125 total points
ID: 16870976
I would also check with Sprint and verify that everything is activated properly.

If this is the first Sprint user, they may have not done everything required.

I hope this helps !

Author Comment

ID: 16872342
I have tried doing both a wireless activation and an activation in the cradle, and neither have worked. I've noticed that in the Blackberry Handheld Configuration Tool, when I assign the phone to a user, if it does assign at all, it only shows the PIN number for information associated with that user. Every other time I've done it, it shows much more about the handheld, such as the phone number, software versions, etc. Thanks to those who have replied, and any other suggestions or things to try would be greatly appreciated.
What does it mean to be "Always On"?

Is your cloud always on? With an Always On cloud you won't have to worry about downtime for maintenance or software application code updates, ensuring that your bottom line isn't affected.

LVL 14

Expert Comment

ID: 16874379
hmm, sound like SysExpert may be right.  The BB device may not be properly set for Enterprise.  

LVL 26

Expert Comment

by:Gary Cutri
ID: 16890533
Try wiping the device before you activate it on the server.  Also ensure you delete all of the service books.
LVL 14

Expert Comment

ID: 16902968
just as a clarification.  check to see if the user is activated for enterprise instead of regular consumer.  We've had a small number of our users enabled for the carrier's regular service, but once they were set to enterprise, everything else fell in place.


Expert Comment

ID: 17004295
I had the exact same issue. These are the things that I had to do to fix the issue for a 7290 BB.  May work on other models as well.

1st Step:
Delete the user from the Enterprise Server and DO NOT keep mailbox information.
Then, on the Blackberry device, go to:

Next Step:
From a DOS prompt on the C:\ Root Directory of the Enterprise Server...

C:\ cd program files\common files\research in motion\rimdevicemanager (enter)
C:\rimdevicemanager (space)/regserver (enter)
C:\regsvr32 (space) rimdevicemanagerps.dll (enter)
***Will receive a "succeeded" msg***Click OK
C:\regsvr32 (space)rimdevicemanagerproperties.dll (enter)
***Will receive a "succeeded" msg ***Click OK
Wait appx 2 minutes and re-add user to Enterprise Server.

The problem should be resolved now. Continue as you normally would.

Hope this helps
Nicholas Jordan

Expert Comment

ID: 17004356
by the way, I had this added to the RIM Knowledgebase. it's article 03726

Expert Comment

ID: 25518010
Just to add to newellit's fix.  That worked for me, of the dll names is slightly off.  Corrected below.
RimDeviceManager /RegServer
Regsvr32 rimdevicemanagerps.dll
Regsvr32 devicemanagerproperties.dll
From RIM's site:


Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article will help those of you having problems with the Nextel Blackberry 8350i.  Recent Software updates cause the problems issues described below, and this article will help you revert back to the older software. As we know, Nextel has alw…
Last night I received a weird phone call, from a number I didn’t recognized.  I answered it and no one responded back so I hung up.   Didn’t look at my phone until my husband said “Your phone is doing something weird”.   I had what I’ll consider the…
In this video, viewers will be given step by step instructions on adjusting mouse, pointer and cursor visibility in Microsoft Windows 10. The video seeks to educate those who are struggling with the new Windows 10 Graphical User Interface. Change Cu…
In this video we outline the Physical Segments view of NetCrunch network monitor. By following this brief how-to video, you will be able to learn how NetCrunch visualizes your network, how granular is the information collected, as well as where to f…

630 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question