Every time I explore a disc in my CD/DVD drive Windows sees fit to display the files in groups (Context -> Arrange Icons By -> [x] Show in Groups). I want to disable this default, or rather, set it not to group files.
"Remember each folder's view settings" is disabled. Initally, when configuring after a reinstall, I customized one folder and clicked "Apply to All Folders".
I usually view files by type and the group titles in the "Show in Groups" view take up far too much unnecessary space. I am getting quite annoyed at having to disable it every time I browse a disc. Is there a registry setting I can play alter or add?
This is a repeat posting as suggestions posted in the previous thread were all tried but with no success. Previous thread available at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21832816.html
For reference, I tried the following suggestions:
lorer: NoSaveSettings = (DWORD)0
2) Checked processes active on folder browse and right click using Sysinternals Filemon to check for spyware/malware activity
3) HijackThis log contains no spyware/malware
4) Ran SFC, completed with no findings
5) Replaced msvcrt.dll with no effect
6) Tried saving settings with CTRL-Close after selecting settings with no CD in drive
None of these seemed to have any effect on the activity described above.
If it is indeed a peculiarity of WinXP I can live with it but if there is any way to make Explorer not display files in groups altogether, ever, I would very much appreciate a pointer. Thanks.