We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

What Cables And Wall Plates Are Needed?

vibale asked
Last Modified: 2013-12-14

if you look at the following drawing (http://www.the-elite-mob.co.uk/PLAN.PNG) could you please tell me what cables (i.e straight / twisted etc) and wall plates I would need to make it work?

I will need a wall plate (if there is such a thing) between the red and green cables.

I will need to know what type of cables to buy for the red and green cables. The yellow one is a straight cable.

Not sure if it makes any difference but im in the UK


Watch Question

This one is on us!
(Get your first solution completely free - no credit card required)
Top Expert 2006

the yellows, red and greens should all be technically CAT5e (CAT6 if you are willing to spend the little extra, which I recommend) and should be terminated as straight-through.  I don't recall if you guys are using 568A or B as a standard.

Considering the diagram, if this is just 2 runs, I am uncertain if you need to run the cables through the walls; but that also depends on what you want and mostly your building codes.  (Cabling through the walls is an interesting task to embark on once in a life time).

Also you can employ decorative runners which can be mounted on the walls; they are not as invisible as running it thru the walls, but considering the amount of time saved vs. snaking the cables, you may want to consider that.

If the diagram is only a small sample of the work that is needed.  Then the green cable should be solid CAT5e or Cat6.  The Yellow and Red should be stranded CAT5e or CAT6; preferrablly ready made store brought if you don't like crimping them.  Store brought are guaranteed to work.  The stranded CAT 5e and 6 are flexible for wall to computer use; the solid CAT5e or 6 are a bit ridged and cheaper which suits them for horizontal cabling needs.

Hopefully I didn't say TOO much...

ECNSSMT, Its my opinion that you can never say too much!! :-)

However I think this is more of a 'neat and tidy' home install than a building wide one.
Top Expert 2006

tidy is ok, cutting thru sheet rock walls with the supporting structure is a pain... lol


You say I will need  a UW17, CD44 and a CD47 for each room, but on the maplin website it says I will need 2 blanking plates for each socket, is this correct?

Also, for the green cable you have said get a cat 5e cable, would cat6 be better and if so, does that maplin site do the correct one that i'd require?

Cat 6 would be recommended if you were in a large building that could not be recabled without major headache. You can run very very high speed ethernet, 1000Mbps, over cat 5e and i cant see you needing faster than this for a shared internet connection. Your router has a 2 - 10Mbps connection right? I have done a similar setup to yours, although it was in 5 rooms, 2 years ago and i cannot see upgrading to cat6 anytime soon (5years)

Cat 6 would be over expensive for what you need in my opinion.

You will need a . .

CD44 = Single wall plate, fits on to a single gang wall pattress and has space for 2 RJ45 sockets
UW17 = RJ45 Modular Socket - The actual socket in one of the spaces in the plate above
CD47 = Blanking spacer - a blanker to cover the spare space

Its a nice little project actually if youve not done this kind of thing before


Ok that makes sense, ill stick with cat5e

About the wall plates, you say 1 cd47 but the website says 2?

Here is a quote from the site

RJ45 Modular Wall Outlets FAQ's:
Q) What will I need to have a single RJ 45 outlet - Kal
A) one CD44 one UW17 and two CD47 (the last item(s) are blanking plates. for the large hole.

Also, I thought RJ45 was a telephone socket??

Thanks for your help btw, as soon as I find out for definite how many CD47's I need. im going to order it all and award you the points
Top Expert 2006

Right now, its more associated with ethernet, VOiP phones and many digital phone connections; wiring schemes will vary.   Many of the home phones in the US use RJ11 as the standard connection.

hmm, the CAT5e and CAT6 decision is probably a moot point at this point; it doesn't sound like there is a long term requirement here so CAT5e is okay.  I usually bring up CAT6 (or the latest cable specifications) for situations which require long term planning (5 year plans).  It pays in the long run as it permits faster equipment to use the existing physical topology.  In this case the more valuable situation is the knowledge gained in horizontal cabling.

vibale, sorry you are correct you will need two, one goes either side of the socket on the wall. Sorry for that, i usually use a different trade supplier with different products. But i recommned Maplins to the masses. :-)

RJ45 is a 8 pin data connecter, its also used for digital telephone systems, ISDN lines etc.

RJ11 is your standard british phone line socket.


Ok cool, thank you both for the info

Ill order this stuff right now and hopefully it'll all be straight forward, if not ill be back with more questions!!!

Thanks again

Gain unlimited access to on-demand training courses with an Experts Exchange subscription.

Get Access
Why Experts Exchange?

Experts Exchange always has the answer, or at the least points me in the correct direction! It is like having another employee that is extremely experienced.

Jim Murphy
Programmer at Smart IT Solutions

When asked, what has been your best career decision?

Deciding to stick with EE.

Mohamed Asif
Technical Department Head

Being involved with EE helped me to grow personally and professionally.

Carl Webster
CTP, Sr Infrastructure Consultant
Empower Your Career
Did You Know?

We've partnered with two important charities to provide clean water and computer science education to those who need it most. READ MORE

Ask ANY Question

Connect with Certified Experts to gain insight and support on specific technology challenges including:

  • Troubleshooting
  • Research
  • Professional Opinions
Unlock the solution to this question.
Join our community and discover your potential

Experts Exchange is the only place where you can interact directly with leading experts in the technology field. Become a member today and access the collective knowledge of thousands of technology experts.

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.