Solved

sql server 2005 - profiler - "failed to start a new trace"

Posted on 2006-06-14
6
2,251 Views
Last Modified: 2008-05-06
I have installed SQL Server 2005 in my laptop and testing an ASP application. I want to run the SQL profiler to findout the database activities.

When I open a new trace in SQL Server 2005 profiler, I am getting the rror "failed to start a new trace". I could not get much help in the net. Many places it is referred to SQL Server 2000 and apply a patch.

Can anyone help me to fix this problem? Do I need to download any patches to make this work?

Thanks
0
Comment
Question by:sriniram
  • 3
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 11

Accepted Solution

by:
Ved Prakash Agrawal earned 200 total points
ID: 16903998
No. Not needed at all.

I think there are some problem with the installation that's why this happening.
please tell me which version of sql u r using.
enterprise or developer.

0
 
LVL 11

Expert Comment

by:Ved Prakash Agrawal
ID: 16904030
Hi you can tried this with SP1 for sql server 2005.

and you have full installed sql server 2005.



http://www.kbalertz.com/kbNamed_295461/environment.variable.changed.nonexisting.Server.Profiler.fail.will.result.following.Failed.start.trace.Server.Profiler.allocates.temporary.storage.aspx

But i think you can tried to installed again sql profiler.
0
 

Author Comment

by:sriniram
ID: 16904032
I am using Standard Edition of SQL Server 2005.

Thanks
0
NFR key for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365

Veeam is happy to provide a free NFR license (for 1 year, up to 10 users). This license allows for the non‑production use of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 in your home lab without any feature limitations.

 

Author Comment

by:sriniram
ID: 16904053
Is this service pack for SQL Server 2000 or 2005?

Thanks
0
 

Author Comment

by:sriniram
ID: 16915332
I think this problem was due to the problem with the permissions for the execution of the stored procedure.

I dropped the new user created by me (created after the restoration of data). Using "exec sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'login name', 'user name' ".

It is working now.

Thanks
0
 

Expert Comment

by:mattjk
ID: 21505312
I found the problem was the folder specified in the server's TMP environment variable had to much junk in it. After clearing it out, the problem disappeared.
0

Featured Post

PRTG Network Monitor: Intuitive Network Monitoring

Network Monitoring is essential to ensure that computer systems and network devices are running. Use PRTG to monitor LANs, servers, websites, applications and devices, bandwidth, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and many more. PRTG is easy to set up & use.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Nowadays, some of developer are too much worried about data. Who is using data, who is updating it etc. etc. Because, data is more costlier in term of money and information. So security of data is focusing concern in days. Lets' understand the Au…
The Delta outage: 650 cancelled flights, more than 1200 delayed flights, thousands of frustrated customers, tens of millions of dollars in damages – plus untold reputational damage to one of the world’s most trusted airlines. All due to a catastroph…
Via a live example, show how to extract information from SQL Server on Database, Connection and Server properties
Via a live example, show how to extract insert data into a SQL Server database table using the Import/Export option and Bulk Insert.

856 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question