• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 229
  • Last Modified:

Exchange Server Hard drive had permissions problems, won't remount stores

Windows 2003 Server, Exchange 2003, got in a bit of trouble with some directory permissions and Exchange services won't start.

I have tried everything to get the permissions restored, but I am past the point of trying...  I have a new Server built with Exchange 2003 and empty stores, and the old drive with Exchange on it is a secondary drive.  I can see the Exchange Folder but...

How do I extract the old stores from the secondary drive that once was an active Exchange drive, to the new fresh Exchange?  

I did back up the stores, however, it appears there was some damage as the normal backup restore process stalls and says some unrecognized files are present.  I tried one of those backup corrupt file recovery trial version software, which seem to find the stores, but before I spend the $150 for the recovery software, is there a way to get what I need from the old drive?

I have older working backups but I really want the newest stores.

Any ideas?

0
dparadox
Asked:
dparadox
1 Solution
 
SembeeCommented:
If the stores will not mount then you will have some problems getting the data out.

You could try a disaster recovery installation. That will involve removing Exchange etc from the new machine, then rebuilding it so that it has the same name as the existing server. Then install Exchange using the /disasterrecovery switch. Finally dismount the stores that it has installed and replace with those from the older server.
(I know that is a brief overview - take a look at the disaster recovery white papers on microsoft.com as they explain exactly how to do it).

Otherwise you are looking at something like onTrack power controls which will extract the data from the raw database files.

Simon.
0
 
dparadoxAuthor Commented:
I called Microsoft...  

They felt it important to recover the old Server first since the settings and files were all on there and it was a DNS, DHCP, Active Directory Primary domain controller.

After spending 7 hours on a conference call with two Microsoft Engineers we are nearing the light at the end of the tunnel!

First we had to fix the permissions issues, then we reinstalled Exchange and IIS, then all the service packs, and finally replaced the stores from the original database into the new stores.

Now we are soring out Active Directory issues, and then transfering all the settings to the new server!  Another 2-hours and we will have the Active Directory fixed!  

WHEW!!

Thanks for your help!
0

Featured Post

[Webinar] Cloud and Mobile-First Strategy

Maybe you’ve fully adopted the cloud since the beginning. Or maybe you started with on-prem resources but are pursuing a “cloud and mobile first” strategy. Getting to that end state has its challenges. Discover how to build out a 100% cloud and mobile IT strategy in this webinar.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now