I have a Smartlink HSF 56Kb V.90 Internal modem on a Laptop with Win XP SP2. I had installed WinFax Pro V.10.0.3 and used to work fine. A week ago WinFax is not able to send any more faxes with this modem. The problem appears:
1. I set-up the recipients list in WinFax from the Address Book.
2. Make any necessary document attachments to any of the recipients.
3. Initiate send.
4. WinFax opens up the Faxing window.
5. Modem opens the telephone line.
6. Calls the number of the first recipient in the list
7. WinFax displays the message communicating with other fax
8. Then the message "Training" appears
9. My modem hangs up the line for no apparent reason and I get the error:
"WinFax cannot communicate with the modem - Please try powering"
I though WinXp may have to do something with it (all these auto updates) and I used my LapTop's Recovery CD to install the image that was originally shipped with my Laptop in order to have a fresh clean start. I then installed WinFax Pro 10.0.3.... again same error. I have also tried an earlier version of WinFax Pro again nothing.
However when I installed the WinXP Fax service I could send faxes but the recipients list is not so manageable so I really want to make WinFax work. I also do not want to buy an external modem since I move a lot.