Global Catalog Issue
Posted on 2006-06-15
I have three Windows Server 2003 servers in our domain.
Server A is configured as:
Server B is configured as:
Server C is configured as:
(previously) Exchange Back-End
(previously) DNS Server
(previously) WINS Server
I have been working to transfer the functionality of Server C to Server B, and to take Server C out of commission. I have transferred all 5 FSMO roles to Server B.
Server A can only see Server C as a global catalog. It will not use Server B as a global catalog server.
1) Opened Exchange System Manager on Server A and browsed to the Server, right click and choose properties, then Directory Access. It shows the following:
Server A -- Config (auto)
Server C -- DC (auto)
Server C -- GC (auto)
2) If I shutdown Server C, then Server A come to a halt. Can no longer route emails.
3) Under DNS (on Server A and all other DNS servers), Forward Loockup Zones, domain name, _tcp I have to entries for _gc of Server B and Server C
4) Run dcdiag /v /s:Server B it shows that the server is advertising itself as a Global Catalog
Starting test: Advertising
The DC Server B is advertising itself as a DC and having a DS.
The DC Server B is advertising as an LDAP server
The DC Server B is advertising as having a writeable directory
The DC Server B is advertising as a Key Distribution Center
The DC Server B is advertising as a time server
The DS Server B is advertising as a GC.
......................... Server B passed test Advertising
Other Issues Observed (perhaps non-related):
1) Server B has not been able to do Automatic Certificate enrollment:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: AutoEnrollment
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13
Time: 2:58:05 AM
Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to enroll for one Domain Controller certificate (0x80070005). Access is denied.
I have attempted serveral of the potential solutions presented in this forum and elsewhere but have not been able to resolve this.