IE blocking .PDF from appearing

Hi All,

I am developing an application and have had an issue which appears to have been around for the last month or so.  We have an online service which creates .PDF files dynamically based of a query to our Database.  This then displays the .PDF in a web browser.

It appears that something has occurred around 45 days ago, which now prevents the file appearing in Internet Explorer only.  We have not changed the method in which we create the files and are still using the same components.  

• The file appears fine when using Mozilla
• When using IE it blocks the file as if it would block a popup.  It makes the 'Pop-Up

Blocked' sound, and the window appears briefly and then closes.  

We have run through adding the name to the Safe List, turning of Pop-Up Blockers completely, removing any Virus and Internet Protection programs however it still stops the file.

To make things worse, the issue is only slowly spreading.  We have some machines which are using IE and the file does appear.

This makes me think it could be a recent Security release form M$ that those PC's that can access the file have not installed yet?

Any ideas or area's to look at would be appreciated.  Even updates to Acrobat Reader perhaps?

Thanks all
CharterMercAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

OliWarnerCommented:
From http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zd4150/is_200407/ai_n9477620:

"There was a recent Microsoft patch, Explorer patch Q832894, that effectively disabled Version 5.0 of the Adobe Acrobat Reader (and older??). The solution was to update to Version 6 of Acrobat Reader. You can also lower security restrictions for a particular Web site by changing that site from the Internet zone to the Trusted Zone. (From IE: select Tools, select Internet Options, select Security, select Trusted Sites, select Add site).--Kent Shaw "

I realise this was 2004, but MS do things like that... Are you running the latest version of Acrobat [Reader]?
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
david_levineCommented:
Anything listed at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/pdf.htm help? Can you open any PDFs such as the link in the page I referenced?
0
deepaknetCommented:
Are you using Windows XP SP2? Did the information bar popup on the top?
0
Rowby Goren Makes an Impact on Screen and Online

Learn about longtime user Rowby Goren and his great contributions to the site. We explore his method for posing questions that are likely to yield a solution, and take a look at how his career transformed from a Hollywood writer to a website entrepreneur.

djdiabloCommented:
I've had a similar issue with PDFs recently in internet explorer where it doesn't handle them properly inside the current window.

I found that if you get them to run/open in a new window or tab then they work fine.
0
CharterMercAuthor Commented:
Hey all thanks for the comments.

I will be running through your suggestions tomorrow and will post the results!

Cheers
0
djdiabloCommented:
Also, check in the bottom left of the Internet Explorer Window on the Status Bar. You may see an error has occurred on the page.

Internet Explorer has got a bug which gives the error 'Object Expected' when integrated with Acrobat. Try re-installing your Adobe Reader.
0
CharterMercAuthor Commented:
There doesnt appear to be a message i the bottom with 'errors'.

I have a few more things to try will try them on Monday and let you all know.

Thanks again for you support - Apologies for the delayed reply

Kind REgards
0
CharterMercAuthor Commented:
Ok well found the solution to the issue, wasnt realy what any said exactly but i'll post it below for other peoples reference.

1)   Pop-up blockers we all Disabled and Turned off
2)   Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus were disabled
3)   Security Settings were decreased to lowest levels and almost everything set to allow and run automatically
4)   'Pop-Up's were allowed on thate page (as per Service Pack 2) (allthough that didnt appear after first time and after the blocker was disabled)
5)   Active X was set to 'allow'

STILL my .PDFs would pop-up and then dissapear

I did the following

a)  Un-install Acrobat Reader and Re-install  :  NO GOOD
b)  Un-install Adobe Acrobat and Re-install   :  NO GOOD
c)  Un-install ALL Adobe products on PC  +  Run REG Cleaner  +  Install Acrobat Reader 7   :   WORKS!

I then had to re-install my other Adobe products after it was working.

I also noticed that when un-installing the products there were about 2 - 4 different 'Updates' for different Adobe products that were listed in my 'programs' list.  I had to uninstall them all seperatly.

Upon Re-installing Acrobat Reader 7, there was only 1 listing for each Adobe Product....

Hope that helps anyone out there....
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Web Development

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.