I have a Seagate 300gB IDE hard drive formatted to NTFS for Windows XP. For the second time, the drive has crashed. Both times this has happened my BitTorrent program, Azureus, was running. It would be nice to know 'why' my hard drive failed, but there is another more pressing question... How do I fix my drive?
I know how to use file recovery software, which I did, and all of the files that were present still exist on the drive. When it crashed yesterday, only some folders on the drive weren't working (I think it was my downloads folder). I ran chkdsk over and over, and now when I try to view the contents of the drive it tells me that my master file table is corrupt.
1) I don't need an explanation of what an MFT is; I already know.
2) I have used file recovery software and the files still exist in the same folder structure.
3) I would prefer to NOT copy the files to another drive.
4) I WOULD like to simply fix the MFT on the drive.
5) Partition Magic's "check drive for errors" function doesn't work.