How do I set/get the Keywords property of a JPG file in Windows XP SP2?
Posted on 2006-06-16
Windows XP SP2 (on NTFS)
JPG picture taken from any camera
Any Programming Language
Please verify your answer before submitting it, because JPG files do not behave the same as other file types in Windows XP.
How do I programmatically get and set the Keywords (located on the Summary Tab of the Properties of a JPG file) field on a JPG file?
1. Locate a JPG (example: C:\Pic.jpg)
2. In Windows Explorer, right-click on the file, choose Properties, click on the Summary Tab and examine the "Keywords" field.
3. Type "MyTestKeyword" into the Keywords field and click OK
4. Run your code sample which should read the Keywords property of the file
5. Programmitically change the keyword to "UpdatedKeyWord" and resave the file.
6. Back in Windows Explorer, right-click on the file, choose Properties, click on the Summary Tab and examine the "Keywords" field. It should read: "UpdatedKeyWord"
NOTE: DSOFile.DLL has already been tried, and does not work on JPG files, also DocumentSummaryInformation streams on NTFS do not work on JPG files, also EXIF and IPTC Properties do not work because they are not reflected in the Keywords property of the file (through Windows Explorer)