Solved

Job Problem

Posted on 2006-06-19
16
232 Views
Last Modified: 2008-03-10
My partner has gone for 2 interviews for jobs last week.  Job A has called her back for a second interview today and has since told her they will accept her.  However Job B is alot better (work and money wise) and that second interview is on thurs and they can't bring it any closer because the guy is flying up from down south for it.

So here's the delima, Job A wants to know if she can start on monday, but they want to know the answer ASAP.  Job B's second interview is not till thursday so i dont think you can drag out the 'yes/no' untill then.  Also Job B might not get back to her for a few days after (when the other job's first day will be).


So if she takes Job A, she might miss out on Job B, if she declines Job A for the chance of Job B and fails, then she's back to square 1 in the job search.  It seems to rude to take job A and then quit in a few days if she get's Job B.



There's only two ways she can go, what way do you think she should go and more importantly why?  She really doesn't know what to do so any ideas or reasons might make it clearer for her.


Thanks.
0
Comment
Question by:UnexplainedWays
  • 6
  • 2
  • 2
  • +6
16 Comments
 
LVL 17

Assisted Solution

by:Thibault St john Cholmondeley-ffeatherstonehaugh the 2nd
Thibault St john Cholmondeley-ffeatherstonehaugh the 2nd earned 65 total points
ID: 16932571
Tell job A the truth. 'I am very interested in your vacancy, however I do have an interview booked with another company and as the person is flying up to see me specially I feel it would be rude of me to cancel at this short notice. I should like to attend this other interview, and so would like to delay my start date. I will let you know my decision as soon as possible'

0
 
LVL 48

Assisted Solution

by:AlexFM
AlexFM earned 60 total points
ID: 16932639
I would call job B and say "I have positive reply from another place, if you are interesting, give me your reply within ... days". Actually, I was in this situation and after such call get positive answer from B. If B says "No, thanks", accept A suggestion. However, she can do this if she feels that first B interview was successful.
0
 
LVL 12

Author Comment

by:UnexplainedWays
ID: 16932702
RobinD, nicely worded.  I'll pass that on to her.

AlexFM, she told Job B that she already is about to hear from Job A.  Thats how she found out the interviewer was comming up on that day for it.  The person she spoke to was just the messenger so they would be unable to comment.  The person that will make the final decision wont be able to make a judgment call because he is still yet to meet her.
0
 
LVL 6

Assisted Solution

by:infex
infex earned 60 total points
ID: 16932751
I do not know how it is in your country, but here (Europe) you allways get at the start of the job some time ("tryout period") during  which you can resign very easily (both you and the boss can). If this is the case, just take job A and if you are sure B is better, resign A.

Hope this helps
0
 
LVL 12

Author Comment

by:UnexplainedWays
ID: 16932764
Well, i'll go into more detail.  Job A, the current person will be finishing on friday (hence the 1 week to learn the ropes).  Thats why they are so eager to start.  If half way though this "learnign stage" she leaves then they wont have enought time to look for a new person and train them.

It's tought to be nice and alot easier to be mean in this situation.
0
 
LVL 17
ID: 16933130
>current person will be finishing on friday
That does make the delayed start a little harder - from the company's point of view they will want the best person for the job, but they will also have to consider whether they can afford to lose any knowledge that might be missed by not having the weeks handover - they could perhaps have one of their other employees take notes about the role and then pass these on to the new starter, so if they are prepared to wait it isn't impossible for them. There is a chance that company A will take their second choice applicant so as to get the early start and possibly someone who might appear more loyal - it is difficult. I hope all goes well.
0
 
LVL 16

Assisted Solution

by:CWS (haripriya)
CWS (haripriya) earned 60 total points
ID: 16933235
You may not get another chance like JobA. She can join Job A. If she gets selected in Job B. She can tell them that she can join only after a month. If they agree, Resign JobA and join Job B.

If you tell the truth to Job A, and if she is not selected in Job B, then, Job A may think that she is not eligible.

So, it is better to take the first chance. Or otherwise, carefully list out all the advantages and disadvantages of Job A over Job B and then decide.
0
 
LVL 25

Assisted Solution

by:nickg5
nickg5 earned 60 total points
ID: 16934927
So here's the delima, Job A wants to know if she can start on monday, but they want to know the answer ASAP.

...........I do not know where you are, but in the USA the standard, courtesy is to give a two week notice. Tell Job A that a notice was given and that is why you could not start until Friday. the following Monday, etc. If they do not respect the two week notice that they themselves should want when one of their employess is retiring or quitting them maybe it is not a good place to work.
0
IT, Stop Being Called Into Every Meeting

Highfive is so simple that setting up every meeting room takes just minutes and every employee will be able to start or join a call from any room with ease. Never be called into a meeting just to get it started again. This is how video conferencing should work!

 
LVL 6

Assisted Solution

by:Booda2us
Booda2us earned 60 total points
ID: 16936840
Unexplainedways, On the day Corporate bean counters decide a position is economically disadvantaged, they pull the plug. Take job A  and inform them of the interview. If job B hires you, then give your 2 weeks notice to Job A and move on. Why should Employers expect different degrees of politeness from Employees? This is the 21st Century...This is my personal view and is not a reflection of EE's or anyone else's view's or protocol's...Booda2us
0
 
LVL 14

Assisted Solution

by:ECNSSMT
ECNSSMT earned 60 total points
ID: 16937013
"If you are chasing 2 rabbits; it is most likely you'll catch neither."  Aside from the employee/employer courtesy; which should be adhered to, and the above advice are good, the employee should weigh her options. 1. Go get the available offer. or... 2. hold out for the better position which may not materialize.   And then choose.

If she takes the 1st job and the 2nd job requests that she go for additional interviews during her hiatus at the 1st job which may or may not be conflicting.  The 1st job may think that any odd actions exhibited by her is exemplary of her work ethics and if its bad enough may not choose to hire her.  

Also as a subtlety; I wonder how an employer would feel if they knew that they were a direct second choice.

But let it be known that life is full of risks (easy and hard ones), you choose how you want to take the risks; or maybe more aptly, every choice you make has a consequence.  So how do you choose?

Don't you just love Philosophy 101?

Regards,

0
 
LVL 3

Accepted Solution

by:
lovewithnoface earned 75 total points
ID: 16937834
Is she currently working?

If so, and her current job is at least some what comparable to job A--wait.

If this is not working thing, then it depends a little bit more on her.

How long has she not been working?  Why?  Is she anxious to work?  Does she have time to be on the market longer?

How likely is it that she'll get another job A?  Is she that qualified?  Are there that many open?   Is this a tight field?

You've already gotten a lot of advice, so I'm going to try and pare down the cooks a bit.

First letting job B know gently that you've gotten another offer and time is of some issue is good.  It lets them know that you're a valued commodity.  But, you never want to take it to far.  You do have to worry at both places and what kind of message you're sending.  Not only to the boss/person hiring, but to your work peers.  If you think no one is going to know the situation in which you were hired, well you're either dead wrong or you work in the most unusual place I've ever met.

But, if sounds like you've already let job B know, and done it well.  And they've let you know that you're not so important that they're going to change they're plans for you (i.e. changing the interview/changing the interviewer/dropping the interview).  Maybe they'll make the decision faster, maybe not.  In any case, there is nothing else that can be done there.

I would tell job A the truth.  Otherwise, you are just chooseing blindly.  You're either playing it safe and canceling the interview, playing uber-risky and decling the job in favor of the interview, or doing both at once which is risky in intself, because you're not choosing.

But, you have a choice as to what to say to job A.

You can end by saying, "and so would like to delay my start date. I will let you know my decision as soon as possible."

The ball is in your court unless they are going to flat out say, "I'm sorry, you have to start now or not at all," which is unlikely, and which would tell you a bit about that job and boss.  If they do this, you can always go for ending number 2, with a bit about how you think a person should keep commitments and it makes them a better worker or something.

If you don't get job B, you miss out on training for job A.  Not terrific.

You can end by saying,"so I can't give you a definite answer at this time, but I understand the time pressure, and would be happy to come in and learn the ropes anyway."

If you take the job, you know the job.  If you don't, maybe you don't have to start job B right away and can pass on what you know to the next person.

This however does leave the ball in their court, with slightly more of an opportunity to say, "we really need a definite answer now"

But the decision about what to do, and how to play it rests soley on her.  I've been using you this whole time because using the third person got weird at some point, but the point is that there is a reason that every proverb has an antithesis.  One is that so someone can always say, "i told you so," but the other is because different situation call for drastically different responses.  She is the only one who has a feel for the people and the jobs and her current situation and she's the one who should make the call as to when to push and when not to--she should just keep in mind that everything could have ramifications, and everything could have great rewards.

It's as simple as that.

Good luck.
0
 
LVL 12

Author Comment

by:UnexplainedWays
ID: 16939242
Well i've given this link to her and she's about to sign in so i'll leave it for her to reply.
0
 
LVL 3

Expert Comment

by:lovewithnoface
ID: 16939319
Well, that makes my you she thing even more confusing.

What I think it comes down to it two things.  What's the gamble, what's the price.  There are lots and lots and lots of options, and for each you have to figure out what you're gambling and what the price is--and whether or not you're willing to pay it.  It's really a poker game.  Is the job market flooding with openings and do you have enough savings to turn down job A cold if push comes to shove.

Whatever decision you make, decide before hand what you and are not willing to do.  If you talk to job A and say you need a week and they say, "no go" know what you're going to say ahead of time.  You don't want to make a decision on the fly, or make one because the secretary who passes on the message has a bad tone.

Again, good luck.
0
 
LVL 12

Author Comment

by:UnexplainedWays
ID: 16939323
Hi everyone,

thanks for all your comments. It is a tricky sitch! After weighing up everything, I have decided to decline the offer.

this was based not even so much on possibly getting another offer, but more on whether job A was right for me. based on my experience, little details (such as team size, responsibilities, location) and larger details (where do i want to go in my career etc) i decided it just wasn't the job for me.

ive had roles that haven't worked out in the past before, and dont want to repeat my mistakes. i just had a gut feeling that job A wasn't "right".

im in the position of being able to wait for a role that I'm really looking for - so hopefully will find it soon.

thanks for all your opinions! much appreciated!
0
 
LVL 12

Author Comment

by:UnexplainedWays
ID: 16939391
Back to me, Thanks for the help EEE's
0
 
LVL 12

Author Comment

by:UnexplainedWays
ID: 17000751
Thanks angelIII for the unlock.

I just thought i'd let everyone know that Job B finally got back to her today and she has it, woohoooo.

So the gamble paid off, just incase anyone was curious on the outcome.
0

Featured Post

Find Ransomware Secrets With All-Source Analysis

Ransomware has become a major concern for organizations; its prevalence has grown due to past successes achieved by threat actors. While each ransomware variant is different, we’ve seen some common tactics and trends used among the authors of the malware.

Join & Write a Comment

Surprisingly, there is a lot to Gym battles, and I thought it would be helpful to share knowledge about all the ins and outs of this feature!
I've been asked to discuss some of the UX activities that I'm using with my team. Here I will share some details about how we approach UX projects.
Notifications on Experts Exchange help you keep track of your activity and updates in one place. Watch this video to learn how to use them on the site to quickly access the content that matters to you.
Saved searches can save you time by quickly referencing commonly searched terms on any topic. Whether you are looking for questions you can answer or hoping to learn about a specific issue, a saved search can help you get the most out of your time o…

707 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

12 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now