Email possibly blocked?

Posted on 2006-06-19
Last Modified: 2012-06-27

My company has an Exchange2003 server, I am using the Outlook client.

We have a "Home Grown" web-based software ticketing system that will send Text messages to On-call Staff's pagers or Cell phones when someone places an Urgent call in the system.  (The software is SQL driven, ASP front-end).

Up to now, we have used Nextel phones to recieve these messages.  Because many of us have poor or no reception, we want to switch to Cingular.  I have a Demo phone and have verified that the email address that I need to use for text messaging is:

The cell phone doesn't recieve the text message from the software system (email address is:
It bounces back to the mailbox with the following error:  

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

      Subject:      Closed eDesk 40729

The following recipient(s) could not be reached: on 06/19/2006 3:48 PM
            You do not have permission to send to this recipient.  For assistance, contact your system administrator.
            < #5.7.1 smtp; 552 5.7.1 Message cannot be processed as request>

I have sent a plain message from the "Edesk" email account directly to my phone and I recieve it.  The DBA for the software has sent messages directly from the DB, I get those.  I can copy and paste the contents and Subject of an automated email, then send from the "Edesk" mailbox and I get those on my phone.  The ONLY time it fails is when the system sends a message autmatically through the system.

I have called Cingular to see if they were blocking all email from my domain or even just that account, but they have said "no" and if that were the case, why can I send a plain old message from the Edesk account with no errors?
Question by:worldofjohnboy
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 3
LVL 104

Expert Comment

ID: 16938037
Is the format of the messages perhaps?
Something in the headers? The fact the bulk of the message goes through when sent manually leads me to believe that there is something different with the format of the messages generated by the tool.

I have a couple of these sorts of things happen in the past. What I have been doing is getting the application to CC another account, external to the Exchange server. When the message fails, I check the external account. That allows me to see the headers. Repeat with a message that does work and see if there is anything different.

There is always the old standby - use an SMTP Connector for that one domain to route email through the ISP and see if that helps.


Author Comment

ID: 16943320
OK, I had a test message sent to my phone and to my home email account (outside my Exchange Server) and here is what I got to the home email, but not the Phone:
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:43:28 -0400 (EDT)
To:,, ,
Subject: TEST

Test-eDesk Pager

Also, at the top, it states "Extra line breaks in this message were removed" however, that may have been because I forwarded it on to my work email.  I won't know the exact outcome until I get home to view it as it was sent to me.
LVL 104

Expert Comment

ID: 16946959
You need to see the complete message. Headers everything. That is why I like Gmail - it lets you see the original message so that you can pick it apart.

Does Powershell have you tied up in knots?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why


Author Comment

ID: 16948478
OK, I got the message at home and looked at the headers...  anything I should be looking for in particular?

BTW, I managed to figure out a different email address for my phone that works pretty good.  (It's not as good as the way I prefer it, via the "MMS" address though.)
LVL 104

Accepted Solution

Sembee earned 250 total points
ID: 16948931
You need to compare the headers with a message that does work. Looking at the header on their own isn't enough. The idea being to see if the application is doing something different. Send the message via Outlook, CC'ing an external account and see what the messages look like then.


Author Comment

ID: 17044424
We managed to figure out a different solution with our Cingular rep that works.  Thanks for your assistance.

Featured Post

Is Your AD Toolbox Looking More Like a Toybox?

Managing Active Directory can get complicated.  Often, the native tools for managing AD are just not up to the task.  The largest Active Directory installations in the world have relied on one tool to manage their day-to-day administration tasks: Hyena. Start your trial today.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article aims to explain the working of CircularLogArchiver. This tool was designed to solve the buildup of log file in cases where systems do not support circular logging or where circular logging is not enabled
In-place Upgrading Dirsync to Azure AD Connect
In this video we show how to create an email address policy in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.:  First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow…
In this Micro Video tutorial you will learn the basics about Database Availability Groups and How to configure one using a live Exchange Server Environment. The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability grou…

718 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question