Hello. I have a dell 8300, about 3 years old, and it has a DVD RW, Philips DVD8601 HH 16X DVD+RW, that went weird on me yesterday. I'm kinda stuck, and not sure if its not a hardware issue now.
First, the problem first manifest when I couldn't read a data CD that I had. It came up as an audio CD, with a single .cda track that couldn't be read on it. I tried several other CD's, with the same result. I checked the drivers in tne device manager, and it came up as having no problems, but the driver name was a string of nonsense characters. ("HH-@T)SP RS/@V@ CCC-0480B" is what it had listed) I tried to update the driver and it wouldn't take the driver dell had on their site. I tried removing the drive and restarting the computer, but it came up with the same driver.
I also checked the bios, and the drive listed there had a similar string of somewhat random characters instead of a sensical name.
I tried a system restore, bios flash, ran a norton virus scan, and now I've run into a wall on what to do next. I'm starting to think its a hardware issue and maybe I should replace the drive, but its not under warrenty any longer and I want to make sure before I buy a new drive.