Offline Encryption GPO - 'Encrypt offline files to secure data' checkbox unavailable
Posted on 2006-06-21
I need some help with an Offline File / Offline encryption GPO. So far I've done the following:
1. For testing purposes I've setup an OU in our domain called Testing.
2. I've put 3 client machines in this OU: XP1, XP2, XP3. (all are Windows XP, SP2)
3. Checked and made sure that a valid certificate exists
3. Created and linked a GPO to the Testing OU called OfflineEncryption.
The GPO has only 2 settings that have been enabled in the following spot:
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files
The 2 settings that have been enabled are:
1. Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature
2. Encrypt the Offline Files cache
So technically any user that logs into these respective machines should by default receive the following settings: (found in Tools\Folder Options\Offline Files in Windows Explorer)
1. Enable Offline Files should be checked and grayed out
2. Encrypt offline files to secure data should be checked and grayed out
HOWEVER, this is not the case, the GPO works only 1/2 way. 'Enable offline files' is checked and grayed out however 'Encrypt offline files' is grayed out but NOT CHECKED. Which pretty much means to me that any offline files we have are not being encrypted.
I've run gpresult on each machine and the 'OfflineEncryption' GPO is being applied to each. I've tried recreating the GPO, moving the machines in and out of the Testing OU, running gpudate /force 10x and still the same results.
I'm at a stand still with this issue. Anyone have any ideas?