Disaster recovery – E2K3 and WMI Problem
Posted on 2006-06-22
- Server failed and needed to be re-installed
- Server is back up and running with last system state restored, Recovered from crashed disks
- Server was DC with Exchange 2k3 installed.
- Hard disks in the server were being listed by the wrong disk drive letters.
- Boot Partition is C, but due to %#$# the Boot Partition is C but the System partition is D
- I had to change the system partition letter to E so Exchange would re-Install (or so I thought)
Huston, we have a problem.
I get an error when performing the reinstall of Exchange. The error pops up during the Messaging and Collaboration Services section of the installation:
“Setup failed while installing sub-component Base DAV protocol with error code 0x8007042C (please consult installation logs for a detailed description). You may cancel the installation or try the failed step again.”
I have checked the Exchange installation log file and based on that it is WMI that does not want to start. An yes… it fails to start – Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
Now WMI requires the Event Log service and the RPC service. Although this looks like an Exchange problem, we are still dealing with failures on the server side. Both are running nicely. So then we are left again in the middle of a rock and a hard place.