Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

Unknown Device in IBM t40

Posted on 2006-06-24
Medium Priority
?
Last Modified: 2012-05-05

I have an IBM  T40. ( type: 2372-72u) . I just reinstalled win xp pro sp2 . After installing all of the devices, when I go to device maneger there is and Unknown device. I have no idea what that is. I went to IBM's website to see if they have any chipset drives that I have to download , but I did not see any under the downloads. I am sure if it's a chipset. I just don't know what it is. ?

Comment
Question by:netcomp
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

• Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
6 Comments

LVL 23

Accepted Solution

by:
phototropic earned 2000 total points
ID: 16975344
Go to start - accessories - system tools - system information.
Click on "components"
Click on "problem devices"
Your mystery device will be there. If tyhere is no information, look for tyhe deevice number and the vendor number (two 4digit numbers in the first loine of information.
Look up thye E£DEV/VEN numbers her4e:

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Good luck!

LVL 23

Expert Comment

by:phototropic
ID: 16975348
Sorry about the clumsy typing in that post above!!
If you need drivers, look at the chip manufacturer's website, or try a driver database like Driverguide:

http://www.driverguide.com/

LVL 23

Expert Comment

by:phototropic
ID: 16975357
That first post should looik like this:

"Go to start - accessories - system tools - system information.
Click on "components"
Click on "problem devices"
Your mystery device will be there. If there is no information, look for the device number and the vendor number (two 4 digit numbers in the first line of information.
Look up the DEV/VEN numbers here:

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Good luck!"
Concerto Cloud for Software Providers & ISVs

Can Concerto Cloud Services help you focus on evolving your application offerings, while delivering the best cloud experience to your customers? From DevOps to revenue models and customer support, the answer is yes!

Learn how Concerto can help you.

LVL 1

Author Comment

by:netcomp
ID: 16975570
Hi,

I did windows update and the device is gone. Thank you,

LVL 70

Expert Comment

by:Merete
ID: 16975572
yeah cut your nails :)

Netcomp you could also try a free trial Driver Guide Toolkit
DriverGuide Toolkit is especially helpful in situations where you have a computer in your possession and the internal hardware is unknown. DriverGuide Toolkit can identify the hardware on the system and the associated drivers,
http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

LVL 70

Expert Comment

by:Merete
ID: 16975573
ok I am getting slow then lol.
No worries.
Cheers Merete

Featured Post

Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

There are 2 things you must have in order to connect to the internet behind a router, The "Gateway IP" of the router, which is usually something like 192.168.xxx.1, I've seen routers with default values of: 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.11.1, …
Issue: Unstable cursor in Windows XP and Windows runs extremely slow in that any click will bring up the Hour glass (sometimes for several seconds before giving you what you want) . Troubleshooting Process and the FINAL FIX: This issue see…
Two types of users will appreciate AOMEI Backupper Pro: 1 - Those with PCIe drives (and haven't found cloning software that works on them). 2 - Those who want a fast clone of their boot drive (no re-boots needed) and it can clone your drive wh…
In response to a need for security and privacy, and to continue fostering an environment members can turn to for support, solutions, and education, Experts Exchange has created anonymous question capabilities. This new feature is available to our Pr…

636 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question