How to Route Internet mail into the GroupWise server?
Posted on 2006-06-26
I am preparing to modify a 30-user GroupWise system to accept the MX Record at the server. For several years Internet email has been hosted by an external service and the GW Client for each user would obtain external email via the host's POP server and merge this with the internal GroupWise mail.
Working with a single server: Netware 6 / GW 6.5 / BdrMgr 3.7 plus DNS/DHCP
It appears that no changes are needed for GWIA and elsewhere within GroupWise as GWIA has been running all along and Internet addressing has been turned on. But I am unclear about the changes needed to get the required packets from the Internet to the GW server once the MX Record has been redirected. My understanding includes . . . with associated questions . . .
1. I will create a static NAT mapping in the DSL router to link 126.96.36.199 (IP address of the A record to which the MX record is assigned) to 192.168.8.90 (IP address bound to the Public NIC on the server) . The system is currently running with a dynamic map of 188.8.131.52 (another assigned IP) to 192.168.8.90 as part of a range.
Q: Is my thinking correct that I need the static mapping
to direct the incoming packets to the server?
2. The routing table already includes a route from destination 192.168.8.0 to next hop of 192.168.8.90.
Q: Is this route sufficient or do I need to add
more to the table?
3. I will add a filter exception to BorderManager for inbound SMTP (port 25). There is already a filter exceptions for outbound SMTP and in & outbound DNS over UDP (port 53).
Q: Are inbound & outbound for ports 25 and 53 all that are needed?
4. The DNS configuration on this server is already configured with an MX record.
Q: Is it reasonable to assume no further changes are
necessary to the DNS configuration?
5. Q: Any good testing procedures prior to changing the address of the A record to which the MX record is assigned? (Note that this changeover is reasonably easy to do for this domain as the organization is using the CustomDNS service by DynDNS).
I am trying to find the holes in mythinking before I start making changes. Please let me know if I need to supply additional information for any of these or related issues.
High points assigned due to urgency - need to make changes this week.