For years, until 4 or 5 days ago I could get to http://www.ancestry.com
but now I have to use http://ancestry.com
and I cannot view any of it's interior pages after I log in - which I have always been able to before. I have checked with the web site and my username and password are correct and my membership is in good standing. When I log in, I am redirected to a splash screen (after a wait of about 30 secs.) saying the site is experiencing high traffic or other difficulties which in actuality it is not. I had tech support at the site log in from my account fine. It's just me that can't access the site.
I get the splash screen if I type in the url or by clicking on a link to it using a google supplied link to the site.
I have removed all cookies, temp internet files and plain old temp files and rebooted and that has had no effect either. I did not change any settings before the problem arose.
I am using win 98se; IE 6.0; cable modem; ISP is earthlink high speed through time warner cable.